[SOLVED] Have I killed it? Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD plugged in both molex and sata power connectors by accident

May 9, 2020
Hi all, dont laugh I did something stupid.
I had an external hard drive that was taking ages to transfer files so I took off the side of the pc and plugged it into the sata. However as I disturbed some cables I ended up taking all the hard drives out and re routing the cables tidy it up.

However I think i on my Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD there are two power connections sata and molex. I've only gone and plugged them both in 💫

Now the drive is not working, however in my usb hdd hub it spins up and the arm moves about. Not picked up by windows though.
Is this drive finished?
Would a pcb swap save my data?
Where is the park position for the arm? on mine it is currently on the platter towards the middle (never even noticed it before)

Who's idea was it to have both power connectors on this hard drive? I've never seen anything like it.

Solution
There was a transitional period when buyers of SATA HDDs would have installed them in non-SATA PCs. WD gave them a choice of power connectors. However, I don't understand why there was a problem, unless the PSU has split rails. That is, the 4-pin Molex supplies may not share the same transformer winding as the SATA supplies, in which case you would be shorting them together via the HDD. Alternatively, if your PSU is modular, and if you have swapped cables between different PSUs, then that could cause problems also.

That said, I can't imagine how this would have damaged your HDD in such a way that it still spins up. :-?

BTW, a straight PCB swap will most likely not work. You would need to transfer the chip at U12 from patient to donor...
There was a transitional period when buyers of SATA HDDs would have installed them in non-SATA PCs. WD gave them a choice of power connectors. However, I don't understand why there was a problem, unless the PSU has split rails. That is, the 4-pin Molex supplies may not share the same transformer winding as the SATA supplies, in which case you would be shorting them together via the HDD. Alternatively, if your PSU is modular, and if you have swapped cables between different PSUs, then that could cause problems also.

That said, I can't imagine how this would have damaged your HDD in such a way that it still spins up. :-?

BTW, a straight PCB swap will most likely not work. You would need to transfer the chip at U12 from patient to donor.

This supplier includes a free firmware transfer:
https://www.hdd-parts.com/12103522.html

Last edited:
Reactions: lots_wife
Solution
May 9, 2020
By opening the drive case and eyeballing this?
it is really dead.

This hard drive has a transparent case. Never noticed it before but you can see all the workings.
Like one of those old wrist watch things.
It spins up and the arm moves about.
Just not recognised in windows either plugged into my tower or on the usb HDD dock.
Such a pain in the tush

Where is the park position for the arm? on mine it is currently on the platter towards the middle (never even noticed it before)
Are you saying that the headstack is parked in the middle of the data area, not at the hub or outer tracks? That doesn't sound right.

Edit:

I've just watched some YouTube videos and the landing zone is near the hub.

This slow motion video suggests that the headstack moves to the middle of the platter after spin-up, which in turn suggests that this may be the location of the firmware area (System Area, SA).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qz5gHeqVVs

Last edited: