[SOLVED] Have i messed up my drivers when going from AMD to NVIDIA?

connorh01

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
Hey guys, so about a month ago I purchased a bunch of new parts for my PC, only keeping the HDD, motherboard and case. I upgraded from the rx 460 to the GTX 1660 super. I saw some posts online saying i don't need to do a clean install of windows or anything like that and just install the new drivers with a clean install and id be fine. My new graphics card seems to be producing the right frames in game, however, each map on overwatch has significantly different fps values ranging from 280fps to 160? To add to this, i have been having a few BSOD errors which all seem to have graphic drivers as a common thing that can cause them.
I have deleted any AMD software or anything that looks like it could be old drivers from the apps and features section of windows (i assume that's the right place as its where my NVIDIA drivers are) and i don't really know what else i could try apart from completely reinstalling windows?
any help would be appreciated and i can answer any questions that will need answering to help
Thanks in advanced

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M socket AM4
Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance
SSD/HDD: Im not sure what HDD i have as it came with the original pre built PC i bought (the only thing left of the prebuilt
GPU: GTX 1660 super
GPU:
PSU: Corsair CP-9020133-UK TX550M 550 W 80+ Gold Power Supply Unit, Black

Last edited:
Solution
Windows doesn't actually delete anything. What it does is remove the address associated with that data. That's kinda like you putting in a change of address form at the post office, but still living in the same house. Unfortunately there's quite often conflicts with that, whether it's the new ppl trying to move in, or you missing the bills that mailed somewhere else etc.

So with the registry, the old amd stuff, that's still looking at 1 address, and nobody is home, the new nvidia drivers trying to move into the space the old amd drivers never left, new drivers getting bills sent to your house, which you won't pay etc.

It can get to be a Royal disaster. Best to do the DDU safe mode, that's you getting permanently moved out of your...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Since you performed an upgrade we're going to be seeing two spec lists. One where it was, the other after the upgrade.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Did you reinstall the OS after the upgrade? If you didn't then now's the time to do so since it's not just the GPU drivers but your chipset drivers that are all different. If you're on Windows 10, might want to create the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Also, make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh sorry thought you changed motherboard. Re-read your op.

Try use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall AMD gpu drivers, if it detects remnants. Download and install the program then boot to safe mode and run it there.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows doesn't actually delete anything. What it does is remove the address associated with that data. That's kinda like you putting in a change of address form at the post office, but still living in the same house. Unfortunately there's quite often conflicts with that, whether it's the new ppl trying to move in, or you missing the bills that mailed somewhere else etc.

So with the registry, the old amd stuff, that's still looking at 1 address, and nobody is home, the new nvidia drivers trying to move into the space the old amd drivers never left, new drivers getting bills sent to your house, which you won't pay etc.

It can get to be a Royal disaster. Best to do the DDU safe mode, that's you getting permanently moved out of your house, and allowing the new nvidia drivers an empty space to occupy with no more mail confusion.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

connorh01

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
Oh sorry thought you changed motherboard. Re-read your op.

Try use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall AMD gpu drivers, if it detects remnants. Download and install the program then boot to safe mode and run it there.

ive done this now and removed all AMD video card drivers, hopefully this fixes the problems and it works better, didnt even know this program was a thing!

connorh01

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017

It can get to be a Royal disaster. Best to do the DDU safe mode, that's you getting permanently moved out of your house, and allowing the new nvidia drivers an empty space to occupy with no more mail confusion.
once i have done the DDU which i just done thanks to another use in this thread, do i need to reinstall the nvidia graphics card drivers too?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Whether you use Geforce Experience or not is up to you, some like it, some don't. But if you do run with it optimised for game use, check to make sure the resolution is set for your monitor. It has a nasty habit of trying to get you the best possible looking picture by automatically using a 4k DSR, which the gpu renders at 4k then turns it back to your native resolution. Looks great I think, but takes a toll on fps.