[SOLVED] Have some questions regarding my CPU's health (A bit longer post)

Dec 4, 2018
Specs that matter in this post are:
i7-4790K
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
(if someone is interested in my full specs, well, just ask, I dont bite :), this is my first post here so idk if I can display my specs some other way)

I bought this used PC some time ago and it works excellent
After some time I decided to try and install Hackintosh on it just to see if it would work better then when I tried on my old PC.
It didn't because Hackintosh breaks for every little change I try to make so I just returned to Windows 7
There I started to get an issue
The PC would shut down instantly by itself after some time of being turned on.
I had that issue on my old PC whenever I played CS:GO, which turned out to be a faulty PSU fan which I just replaced with another fan and it was fixed.
That wasn't the case with this issue since the PSU worked fine, and I tried to put some load onto the cpu by testing it in Cinebench and seeing if it would trigger a shutdown but no.

So I contacted the guy from which I bought the PC for help.
He asked me what are my BIOS settings with which I provided him
As some may know, before installing Hackintosh you should reset BIOS to default, which in my case was apparently a cause of the issue.
The motherboard had it's own way of overclocking the CPU which led to higher voltages, that combined with "high performance mode" in power options made the CPU to constantly run at max.
So maybe the PC turned off before CPU could be damaged, as a safety function.

The guy told me which settings to change in the BIOS which were:
lowest voltage of 0.030 i believe and highest of 1.200
with offset sign -
and llc level 4
asus multicore enhancement disabled
and maybe a few more tiny tweaks

Now my PC doesn't shut down and works perfectly, but I do have some questions I would like to ask you.
Which are:
Was this auto OC combined with PC shutting down instantly harmful to my CPU?
I checked the CPU in Cinebench and it scores a bit higher than i7-4770K which is good I guess.
Also
Is it normal for a 4 core 8 thread CPU to display 8 "cores" in CPU usage in Task Manager and Device Manager?

Solution
I think that the fan speed is determined by the CPU temperature as well as the fan curve that's generally set up in the BIOS.

So I don't think that auto OC changes anything as far as fan control. However....the fan generally SHOULD spin faster if the CPU is OCd because the CPU should run warmer.
"Was this auto OC combined with PC shutting down instantly harmful to my CPU?"

I think that most likely the designers of the BIOS wouldn't design it in such a way that it would damage CPUs on it's own. I'm not saying that YOU couldn't damage it by manually overclocking it. I'm saying that if the BIOS is automatically overclocking it, I don't think it will be damaged.

"Is it normal for a 4 core 8 thread CPU to display 8 "cores" in CPU usage in Task Manager and Device Manager?
"

I don't know if this is normal.....but I have seen this more than once.

Dec 4, 2018

Well it did cause shutdown so it wasn't the best overclock
Shouldn't auto oc also try to oc the fan of the cooler?

I think that the fan speed is determined by the CPU temperature as well as the fan curve that's generally set up in the BIOS.

So I don't think that auto OC changes anything as far as fan control. However....the fan generally SHOULD spin faster if the CPU is OCd because the CPU should run warmer.

Solution
Dec 4, 2018

welp
it ddint spin fast enough i guess

Dec 4, 2018

ok thanks
but is till hope i will manage to get a few more comments to determine the situation
before i choose a solution