[SOLVED] Haven't Replaced Components for Many, Many Years - Seeking Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 9, 2020
Hello,

I have a Desktop that I bought a while back for gaming purposes that I thought it would be fun to upgrade. In particular, I was hoping to make some quality of life upgrades that would make games load faster (so less waiting for levels to load and the like). I might also put in a new graphics card, though it has a GTX 1060 (6 gb) which has been fine. My understanding is that I should invest in a SSD and additional RAM to this effect (it currently has 2x8gb). However, I'm not sure what kind of SSD to purchase. It has an SSD boot drive that is in a fitted slot above a holding case for HDD drives (which is the 1 tb drive where the games are stored). If anyone has a moment to explain what I need to know to purchase an SSD and RAM, it would be hugely appreciated. I have read some articles, but I end up confused about what will work with what I currently have. To the extent it matters, I have a B360-a Pro motherboard and the power supply is 600 megawatts.

Thanks very much and sorry for the interruption,
Ed

Solution
I see. So I would have to replaced the Optane module with a bigger one. Could I just buy a big one and get the Windows on it installed on the new one?
You'd replace it with a regular NVMe drive, not another Optane.

And yes, you could.
Significant disruption, and giving up the current pairing of Optane+HDD.

Lots of reconfig, for probably not a lot of actual gain.

Personally, I'd just add another SATA SSD.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
PSU is Masterwatt Lite 600

That is complete garbage I would not use it in any PC I built even a HTPC much less a gaming PC.
OK. That's what the computer came with. I don't know anything about power units, so any advice or perspective would be appreciated. Thanks.

Keep it until you have a reason not to. You've got plenty of headroom, and aren't pushing it by overclocking or anything. It'll be fine, provided you don't plug a 3090 into it.