Question Having a really weird behavior with my mouse lagging badly? (Video)

bchapman

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I have an ASUS Strix ROG z370-H motherboard, and earlier this week I did a BIOS update.

Right after that two things happened:

1. Upon rebooting, I was greeted with a GPT Header Corruption error message
  2. After fixing #1, I discovered that my mouse cursor in windows exhibits extremely erratic and bizarre behavior. It does this with all mice I have tried. I do not know what is going on, I am using a SteelSeries Rival 650.
Here is a small 10s video of the behavior so that there aren't any questions about what this is doing. I have updated drivers, I have also checked the pointer speed in the settings. This is nothing to do with pointer speed, as you can see that it is almost like there is a delay. Kind of like watching an out-of-sync movie where the words don't match the lips.

Anyways, this is more annoying than the corrupted GPT headers. I need to fix this because I am pulling my hair out every several minutes when it starts acting up again.

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Did you manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers yourself or did you use some third party tool/utility to update the mouse drivers?

If necessary reinstall the mouse drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

And, either way, consider that the driver download was buggy or corrupted.

Otherwise:

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance.

First while just letting your computer "idle" and then while you move the mouse.

Watch what happens to resources and what is using those resources.

bchapman

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Did you manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the mouse drivers yourself or did you use some third party tool/utility to update the mouse drivers?

If necessary reinstall the mouse drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

And, either way, consider that the driver download was buggy or corrupted.

Otherwise:

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (one at a time) to observe system performance.

First while just letting your computer "idle" and then while you move the mouse.

Watch what happens to resources and what is using those resources.

I did notice that this performance hit seemed to happen when I would access my D: drive. This is an SATA physical 2TB internal drive.

I did manually reinstall the drivers

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Check Task Manager for what all is being launched via the startup tab - disable anything you recognize and do not need to have launched at startup.

bchapman

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Check Task Manager for what all is being launched via the startup tab - disable anything you recognize and do not need to have launched at startup.

Sorry - got a little sick the last few days. Here are my specs:

PSU: EVGA 850 G3, 80 PLUS Gold 850W, [1.5y old]​
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING, Intel Z370 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, ATX Motherboard​
HDD1: SAMSUNG 500GB 970 EVO 2280​
HDD2: WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Black WD2003FZEX​
RAM: KINGSTON 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz, CL16 KINGSTON 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz, CL16​
GFX: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING, 1480 - 1582MHz, 11GB GDDR5X​
GFX Cooling: EK-FC1080 GTX Ti - Nickel Plated Copper Water Block with Acetal Top for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti​
CPU: INTEL Core™ i7-8086K Limited Edition 6-Core 4.0 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151​

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide!

Thanks for the assistance

Ralston18

Titan
Not seeing anything there...

Were you able to test the mouse and observe via Task Manager and Resource Monitor (see my post # 2).

If you boot into Safe Mode does the mouse "bad" behavior continue?

If not, consider running "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Either one may find and correct some corrupted/buggy file.