Siller

Reputable
Dec 11, 2016
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 Ghz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 4x4GB for a total of 16GB
MOBO: Asus Z170-A-ATX
PSU: EVGA 850 Bq

Okay so i built this PC way back in 2016 and it was working great for about 4-6 months but ever since then its been stuttering. Okay even a game as simple as csgo it will be at 300 fps then drop below 60 it happens with rust a lot and borderlands 3 as well. I normally resort to just 1280x720 Lowest settings but i didnt buy this rig to do that and it should be able to handle it just fine if any of you see any obvious faults or places that need a upgrade i would be grateful. I really dont know what to do i've done countless benchmarks and config files and setting changes watching youtube videos of people with similar rigs running games fine. I didnt put my OS on a SSD its on my 1 TB WD Black and some games are on my 256GB SSD. Like i said anything obvious you guys could point out im all out of options and im tired of having to sacrifice quality just to be able to play the games at 60fps.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20710298 Here is my benchmark

Edit: Added Benchmark URL

Last edited:

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
okay... that's weird. what is your CPU, GPU and RAM load when idle? did you check your CPU and GPU temp? try configuring the GPU via MSI afterburner? Usually though, the storage is rarely the problem.
here's several of guesses from me though,
1st, a lot of bloatwares of unused softwares piled overtime and filling your RAM with pointless stuff
2nd, not enough cooling due to probably dust and crusty paste
3rd, somehow the GPU will clock down on stock (idk that happened to me, my 1070 refuse to go higher than 1600mhz even when there's a lot of thermal headroom), so try to manually OC it with afterburner.
4th, MAYBE, just maybe, an almost dying HDD. if you're hearing funny noises from your HDD, and the benchmark number (like crystal disk mark) for your HDD is bad, then it might be the cause too.

Reactions: Siller

Siller

Reputable
Dec 11, 2016
if i was you i would try getting the os on the ssd instead and use the hdd as storage.
So i moved my OS onto my SSD and there is about 70 gigs of free space the benchmark seems promising I formatted my HDD and cleared some stuff off of it. Im gonna try playing some games and see if im still running into FPS problems. One question though was how much free space do i need on my 256 GB SSD for it to still run smoothly?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20880021

edit: added bench mark

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
One question though was how much free space do i need on my 256 GB SSD for it to still run smoothly?
As a rule of thumb, overprovisioning SSD is a good idea. you'd probably want to free around 30% of that space. the bare minimum for over provisioning itself is 7.37%, so yeah, 70 out of 256 will do just fine.

Reactions: Siller

Siller

Reputable
Dec 11, 2016
As a rule of thumb, overprovisioning SSD is a good idea. you'd probably want to free around 30% of that space. the bare minimum for over provisioning itself is 7.37%, so yeah, 70 out of 256 will do just fine.

Well i'm happy with the results thanks for your help as well as you j121 rust on my current settings (extra low) is getting 100-120 fps luckily i have fast enough internet where i dont need to keep my hdd full have a good one guys.(y)