Question I'm getting constant and random microstuttering ?

Jul 10, 2024
Hi guys,

I've been having random microstutters no matter what game I play - not sure where this is coming from and not sure how to even attempt to troubleshoot it.

I tried monitoring Task Manager to see any spikes to no avail and my temps are fine. I'm even getting stutters writing this post using google chrome..

I'm hoping someone can help me out here, or guide me to find a solution.

Here are my specs:

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING 24GB
64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo
1200 watt 80 plus corsair PSU

Samsung m.2 980 1 TB (OS)
Samsung 850 evo 250GB (gaming)
Samsung 860 evo 1 TB (gaming)

Well - your 3600mhz DDR4 ram is running at 2133mhz.
Go into BIOS and enable A-XMP/DOCP.
Make sure
Command Rate is set to 2T and
DDR voltage is set to 1.35V.

It's not guarantied, automatic settings will work flawlessly.
It may be necessary to tune ram settings manually.

Jul 10, 2024
Well - your 3600mhz DDR4 ram is running at 2133mhz.
Go into BIOS and enable A-XMP/DOCP.
Make sure
Command Rate is set to 2T and
DDR voltage is set to 1.35V.

It's not guarantied, automatic settings will work flawlessly.
It may be necessary to tune ram settings manually.
i will try to adjust these settings, where do you see the 2133mhz? just so I can check cpu-Z again after i adjust to see if it moved to the proper clocks

Jul 10, 2024
In CPU-Z dram frequency - it shows 1059.5mhz (slight 0.6% difference from standard 1066.6mhz).
Multiply that with 2x and you get 2133 mhz.

If you went into BIOS, it would show your ram running at 2133mhz.
Hmm, it seems like no matter what setting I adjust in BIOS it reverts back to default.
I must be doing it wrong or Gigabyte makes the BIOS configuration very confusing.
I'll keep trying..

Hmm, it seems like no matter what setting I adjust in BIOS it reverts back to default.
Easy mode, set XMP profile, save and reboot.

190904110654.jpg

It should still have a profile and when selected would show in windows afterwards even if it is not on the motherboard QVL list. From the G skill configurator there are two 64gb 3600 M/Ts RAM kits compatible with your motherboard, are either of these the kit that you have?
Kit 1
Kit 2

Last edited:

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
RAM needs to be installed in slots a2-b2. Power off PC and disconnect from wall outlet. Move each RAM module one slot to the right away from CPU.
Nice catch, didn't notice the 2nd picture.
Ram needs to be on slot 2 and 4 in CPU-Z to use dual channel.

Edit : Hold on, the module is 16gb with total memory 64gb so all 4 slots should be used.
Edit 2 : nvm, OP stated 64gb of ram and has 2 x 8gb instead.

Reactions: helper800

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
It should still have a profile and when selected would show in windows afterwards even if it is not on the motherboard QVL list. From the G skill configurator there are two 64gb 3600 M/Ts RAM kits compatible with your motherboard, are either of these the kit that you have?
Kit 1
Kit 2
I was going by total size 64gb, 3600mhz and timings 16-16-16-36 as XMP found in bios.
Mistake was that the ram size total is 16gb hence no results for those timings and speed.

Reactions: helper800
Seems like you have 4x16GB dual rank sticks. With dual rank sticks it's best to run 2 sticks, with single rank sticks it's a lot easier to run 4 sticks. If you want to run the RAM at the rated speed you best to use only two sticks in slot A2 and B2. Ifd there's a need for 64GB you better get a 2x32GB kit.

Jul 10, 2024
Kit 1
Kit 2
The model I have is: F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
All 4 slots are slotted with 16gb each for a total of 64gb

Seems like you have 4x16GB dual rank sticks. With dual rank sticks it's best to run 2 sticks, with single rank sticks it's a lot easier to run 4 sticks. If you want to run the RAM at the rated speed you best to use only two sticks in slot A2 and B2. Ifd there's a need for 64GB you better get a 2x32GB kit.

There's no other way around this to reach 3600MHz? or do I need to drop 16GB to reach 3600MHz..

thanks for checking.

so if my RAM isnt the issue, what could it be?
That is the million dollar question. Let me ruminate on it. I will try to get back to you if I think of something else. You could try DDU to reinstall your graphics driver, its usually a decent place to start. Is the stuttering only in games or does it extend to any and all applications?

Jul 10, 2024
That is the million dollar question. Let me ruminate on it. I will try to get back to you if I think of something else. You could try DDU to reinstall your graphics driver, its usually a decent place to start. Is the stuttering only in games or does it extend to any and all applications?
It happens in chrome sometimes too. Especially if I'm watching a stream on twitch or a YouTube video.

Also, just to note, I have PBO and CBO both enabled in BIOS. It does help with performance but my CPU runs hot (93f under load) but if I turn these off then I will get the stutters more often.

That being said, the ryzen 9 5900x has only given me headaches since it's been purchased.

It happens in chrome sometimes too. Especially if I'm watching a stream on twitch or a YouTube video.

Also, just to note, I have PBO and CBO both enabled in BIOS. It does help with performance but my CPU runs hot (93f under load) but if I turn these off then I will get the stutters more often.

That being said, the ryzen 9 5900x has only given me headaches since it's been purchased.
Have you always had this problem? It could be a short on the motherboard. Are the stutters consistently timed?

Jul 10, 2024
Have you always had this problem? It could be a short on the motherboard. Are the stutters consistently timed?
not always no.
I bought my CPU about 1.5 years ago and I've just had a lot of issues getting the "optimal" settings for it and I just feel like that's what most of my issues are

not always no.
I bought my CPU about 1.5 years ago and I've just had a lot of issues getting the "optimal" settings for it and I just feel like that's what most of my issues are
Okay, I want you to clear CMOS and then go back into BIOS and set XMP and leave the CPU stock for testing. Do you know how to clear CMOS?