Question Having crashes while playing a certain game. Usually just hard restart, one BSOD.

Aug 31, 2024
I built my first PC 6ish months ago and its been running flawlessly until now. I've been playing the old assassins creed games and right now on Brotherhood I am getting a crash or two every time I play the game. The crashes are inconsistent but the last one was a BSOD. I don't get any crashes playing any other games (right now I mostly play Destiny 2). I went on the event viewer and the most recent one was event ID 10016 (BSOD while playing AC Brotherhood). I'm generally pretty tech savvy but this is kinda out of my depth.

To me it seems maybe the older game is kinda wonky on modern OS and hardware since I have played a whole list of other games on this same PC with zero issues (minus some GPU OC issues on COD, It should be noted I have PBO enabled for my R7 5800 non x.)

Any advice or troubleshooting is welcome, Thanks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try run monitor at 60hz and cap your frame rate to 59 with vsync on.

Mentions capping frame rate here and other tips.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed:_Brotherhood

In-game stuttering, freezing issues​

When using VSync,the game places most of its processing load on the first CPU core only(typically 99%) which may cause stuttering and occasional framerate dips on some systems while traversing through the map[10]
This affinity fix also fixes the same issue with AC2, ACR and AC3 when using VSync.

Making affinity changes permanent (setting affinity in task manager only lasts until you exit the game):

1. Edit your preferred shortcut for launching the game (desktop and/or start menu)
  2. In the target field, set the following (just put the default contents in double quotes and prepend cmd.exe /C ...):
  • For a 4/4 (core/thread) CPU cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity e "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe"
  • For a 4/8 and 8/8 (core/thread) CPU cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity fe "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe"
  • For a 6/6 (core/thread) CPU cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity 3e "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe"
  • For a 6/12 (core/thread) CPU cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity ffe "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe"
  • For a 8/16 (core/thread) CPU and higher cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity fffe "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe"
Verify correct affinity by launching the game and checking affinity in task manager (see beginning).

To be used in Steam launch options, to launch the game directly from Steam, it must be a little different:

• Ex. for a 8/16 (core/thread) CPU and higher C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity FFFE "<path-to-game>\ACBSP.exe" %command%

And if smart access memory is enabled in bios try disable for this game.