Having Dual Monitors with XP. 2 cards or 1?

G

Hello everyone, I know you guys are great with me asking my stupid questions. I have an old Voodoo card in my PCI slot and I have an extra 17" monitor that I would love to hook up with Windows XP for more space. Now my problem is I am looking for the LEAST amount of money to spend to get this to work. Now I've read quite a bit on this and a lot of people are having problems hooking up two video cards and if I understand it right, I would have to purchase an AGP card since I already have a PCI card and you need one of each to get it to work. Would it just be better if I got a DualView AGP card and if so, which one should I get which is the least expensive? I'm not really worried about playing games. I still only play Starcraft :) and I have an XBOX for hardcore gaming. Any suggestions would be great on what I should do! Ideally I'd like to not spend much and with the least amount of hassle of hooking up two with XP. Thanks again guys, you all are the best.

jjondle

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Hey. **To my knowledge** the requirements for dual displays on your PC is either 2 seperate video cards or one that supports dual monitors. Some of these have 2 outputs but don't support the extended desktop you're looking for. If I were you, I'd just get a cheap video card from pricewatch.com or something. You don't need a whole new card with dual support. I am running a crappy PCI TNT2 M64 card and the other one is an even worse one that was integrated into my crappy PC when i got it. Dual monitors is working fine on that so just go get a 4 or 8 MB AGP card and you should be good to go.