Question Having issues after buying a new HDD, but I'm not sure what the cause can be

Nov 21, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm trying to debug some issues I'm having with my computer.

Recently I bought a new HDD, which made some weird noises and after a couple of hours slowed down and I couldn't even install anything on it because it was extremeley slow. So I sent it back and got a new one, in which I installed Manjaro and Windows 11. But in this one, while using Windows, after a couple of hours it would slow down, and on Sunday the HDD was making a weird noise form time to time and I got a BSoD.

To make sure that I wasn't imagining things and that the issue wasn't W11, this week I installed W10, after which the HDD hasn't made any more noises and the PC hasn't crashed. However, while the computer in general feels normal, from time to time I've notice a bit of sluginesh like letters being written slowly when typing, and after a couple of hours of using it, the computer slows down, which can be solved by either waiting a couple of minutes, or restarting it.

What made me more worried though was when I tried installing Qt: It would take hours to make any progress. I read online that that can happen, so I ran the following tests:
  • Installed Qt on my new HDD on secure mod, to ensure that nothing else was open. It took 6 hours to install the first time, and 4 in a second test. During the installation, I tried copying some files and the speed was between 1 to 5 MBps.
  • Swapped the new HDD with the one I had before buying this one, and installed Qt on it in normal mode with other stuff open. It took 1.5 hours to install. During the installation, I tried copying some files and the speed was between 20 to 40 MBps. This hard drive also hasn't given me issues with sluginess, but it is old and is failing so I do need to replace it.
This leads me to believe that there may be something wrong with the HDD, but what puzzles me is that Speccy, CrystalDisk, and HD Tune all say the hard drive is fine, and also my Manjaro installation has felt fine too, and that it's 2/2 new HDDs with issues.

This is the CDI info: https://pastebin.com/FuVi5TwK
ST2000DM008-2UB102 (C and D) is the new hard drive. ST1000DM003-1ER162 (E and G) is my old one, just to clear any confusion

So, do you have any ideas what the issue may be or how could I narrow it down?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021
I have not checked with the store where I bought it, since I want to make sure that I'm not imagining things, and Manjaro working and no bad resutls from CDI has me confused.