[SOLVED] Having issues when I log into Windows 10 using my Microsoft password

Daniel Corrado

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
So as title suggests, I am having troubles when I am in the Login Screen of Windows 10, where it asks me for my password, 7/10 it works just fine, but the other times, the little loading circle just rotates and nothing happens, I have to restart my computer via the motherboard reset button underneath the BIOS code thing. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Solution
Tried all of that, No memory issues, no disk errors. No windows 10 corruption, It started happening when I "reset" windows 10 just to clean up my computer, the inbuilt system that "resets" your windows 10. Since then its been giving me these problems.
Well while Windows 10 has improved a lot over the recent years, you can still expect to experience strange behavior after system wide reset.

Try making a new user in the "Computer management" console >> Local Users and Groups >> Users, which can be accessed by running "compmgmt.msc" and then instead of logging into your current user, log into the new user profile, and see if you are still having problems with the new user.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
So as title suggests, I am having troubles when I am in the Login Screen of Windows 10, where it asks me for my password, 7/10 it works just fine, but the other times, the little loading circle just rotates and nothing happens, I have to restart my computer via the motherboard reset button underneath the BIOS code thing. Any ideas what could be causing this?
I would first check and see if the hardware is working ok or not, specially RAM and hard disk.
For RAM, windows itself has this amazing RAM test feature, which you can find by searching in the start menu for "Windows Memory Diagnostic" which you can also find in "Control Panel". After the restart try running the most complete memory test and for a couple of times like5 or 6 rounds, it will take a while. I would personally suggest a more robust memory test program like https://www.memtest.org/ or https://www.memtest86.com/

And to be sure your Hard disk is ok, Open an admin level access command prompt in Windows and type in:

Code:
chkdsk C: /F /V /R /X /B
In this command "C:" has to be replaced with the drive letter where your Windows is installed at. This is the most comprehensive NTFS drive fixing command and if the C: is huge it will take a long time because it would also check the whole disk for corruptions.

If none of these is the issue
You can also try running
Code:
sfc /scannow
in an admin level command prompt.

Again if this doesn't help, there maybe something wrong with your user profile or the startup applications, which you can disable them using the windows task manager, or the tasks that are scheduled to run at a user's log on.

Did you start to experience this after probably you installed a new application or software?

Daniel Corrado

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I would first check and see if the hardware is working ok or not, specially RAM and hard disk.
For RAM, windows itself has this amazing RAM test feature, which you can find by searching in the start menu for "Windows Memory Diagnostic" which you can also find in "Control Panel". After the restart try running the most complete memory test and for a couple of times like5 or 6 rounds, it will take a while. I would personally suggest a more robust memory test program like https://www.memtest.org/ or https://www.memtest86.com/

And to be sure your Hard disk is ok, Open an admin level access command prompt in Windows and type in:

Code:
chkdsk C: /F /V /R /X /B
In this command "C:" has to be replaced with the drive letter where your Windows is installed at. This is the most comprehensive NTFS drive fixing command and if the C: is huge it will take a long time because it would also check the whole disk for corruptions.

If none of these is the issue
You can also try running
Code:
sfc /scannow
in an admin level command prompt.

Again if this doesn't help, there maybe something wrong with your user profile or the startup applications, which you can disable them using the windows task manager, or the tasks that are scheduled to run at a user's log on.

Did you start to experience this after probably you installed a new application or software?

Tried all of that, No memory issues, no disk errors. No windows 10 corruption, It started happening when I "reset" windows 10 just to clean up my computer, the inbuilt system that "resets" your windows 10. Since then its been giving me these problems.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Well while Windows 10 has improved a lot over the recent years, you can still expect to experience strange behavior after system wide reset.

Try making a new user in the "Computer management" console >> Local Users and Groups >> Users, which can be accessed by running "compmgmt.msc" and then instead of logging into your current user, log into the new user profile, and see if you are still having problems with the new user.

Solution
I cant help you with bios but if you dont need to use the microsoft password screen wait till you eventually get to the desktop and type netplwiz into the run box and follow the prompts , restart your pc and you will find it bypasses the microsoft screen and you go straight to the desktop.

NOTE TO MODERATORS ....... i am NOT putting any pc's at risk because if you want to do netplwiz you would need to know the password of the pc to be able to get to the desktop in the first place.