jason5906

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hey guys/gals I am having a problem with my new build and I'm pretty demoralized at this point.

Here is my build:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
Cooler: Kraken x63
Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-PLUS
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4
Storage: Samsung 970 evo m.2
GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super
PSU: EVGA Supernova GT 750 gold
Case: Lian Li Lancool II

For reference on PC Part Picker except I can't find the case or PSU so plugged in similar items: pcpartpicker

When everything is plugged in and turned on the motherboard has it's RGB lights glowing but when I press the power button nothing happens, no fans, no sounds, no error indications from the motherboard. I did a test on the power supply thinking that it was bad. Turns out it is an "Automatic ECO" with no switch to disable it so you can't actually test the PSU. I had a friend loan me one of his PSUs that works, hooked it all up and nothing new except his PSU that doesn't have an ECO turned on.

Other things I have tried:
Used working case to try to power PC thinking case power button might be broken, still nothing
I have got down to 1 stick of ram, alternating them to see if that was the problem, no luck
My current conclusion is the motherboard is bad
I have to have my GPU in because there is no onboard graphics. I have reseated, replugged everything in.
I even reseated/repasting the process though it's AMD and it goes right into place without fuss.
Reset CMOS by removing battery and also jumping reset per motherboard instructions

I am not the most experienced PC builder in the world but I'm not a complete amateur. I also had my friend come help diagnose last night who has built quite a few PCs. The current conclusion is that the motherboard is bad but I can't say with 100% certainty. Another point is I have already had to drive back to Microcenter 3 times now and it's about a 45 minute drive one way. I'm trying my best to social distance and not be exposing myself in the store multiple times. I have put a lot of time into this build and I'm really over messing with it and driving back and forth to Microcenter. I am to the point where I'm looking at buying a premade powerspec PC from microcenter or a cyberpower pc from best buy which I'll link here as well:

PowerSpec prebuilt
- crap GPU i can replace later on, probably upgrade PSU to a gold

CyberPowerPC
- lots of unknowns on the brands until purchased and opened up, fairly pricey but also has a 2080 TI.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

jason5906

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
avoid Cyberpower.

Not knowing what you have or haven't done, I'll start with the stupid stuff

Did you put in the motherboard standees?

Yes

are you sure you have the case PWR and PWR Reset in the right spot?

Yes

I don't blame you for starting with stupid stuff, I was hoping I covered my basis for the easy stuff with the more advanced things I've tried :D

TRENDING THREADS