Question Having random restarts and audio issues after upgrading

Aug 5, 2024
Audio and game stutters into crashing

So I recently upgraded a couple components on my pc and have since ran into the above mentioned issue.

NEW PARTS:

I upgraded my RAM to Corsair 32GB DDR5 vengeance sticks (6000mhz, though in trying to fix the issue they're currently set to the auto speed of 4800 in BIOS)

I upgraded to a ASRock B650M Pro RS Motherboard.

I also upgraded to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU

And lastly I upgraded to a secondhand 3060 GPU (bought off a family member, has always worked fine in his old build, I have no reason not to trust them unlike random sellers).

EXISTING PARTS:

I have C750 Bronze NZXT power supply as well as 3 HDD's and 2 SSD's connected, one of which is NVME.

I currently use a water cooler for my CPU, to my knowledge it's a corsair H50 though I'm not 100% certain. It is the closest looking one to mine I could find on the internet.

TESTING I'VE DONE:

So far I've mostly focused on testing my ram sticks. I have ran memtest 86 and encountered many errors in my initial test, however these disappeared since and I have not been able to reproduce them.

I have ran memtest since with ram both ram in slots 2 and 4, swapped them, ran a test on both sticks separately in both slots, none of which produced any errors.

Curiously I did have one incident where the PC would not boot to BIOS when I had both sticks inserted. Though that only happened once and after reinserting them it has not occured since.

As for the issues, they only popup once in a while, today it happened only after having used the pc many hours prior(though I did put it to sleep for about 2 hours before continuing to play, so it had not been in use for long at the time of the crash).

This was also the first time I had the issue happen in a few days time, so it seems to be at random to me, and I can not pinpoint an exact reason or cause.

The crash didn't BSOD but simply shut off my pc and then rebooted it, meaning I have no error code to go off on (though it did BSOD before, but I did not save that error unfortunately).

Pc parts picker found no conflicting parts when I selected the parts, but maybe there's something I missed here.

Would appreciate any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to list the specs to your build like so;
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time. Since you performed an upgrade we'll be seeing a before and after of the specs.

When you performed the upgrade, did you reinstall the OS?

it's a corsair H50 though I'm not 100% certain.
You might want to clarify of it's an H50. If it is indeed an H50, your cooling is inadequate. You will need at least a 280mm or higher.

Aug 5, 2024
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS
Ram: Corsair 32GB DDR5 vengeance 6000 MHZ ( No oc)
SSD/HDD: 2x SSD 3x HDD as follows:
Kingston SA2000M8100G
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
ST1000DM003-1SB102
ST2000DM006-2DM164
WDC WD3200AAJS-00B4A0
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060
PSU: C750 Bronze NZXT (Currently about 20 months old, bought late 2022)
Chassis: Coolermaster CM690III Green
Monitor: I run 2 monitors, as following:
Main monitor: LG 27MR400-B 100HZ 27 inch
Secondary monitor: IIyama 24.5 Inch 75 HZ G2530H

Regarding the H50 cooler, Thanks for letting me know about that. I will look into that however my crashes and audio issues generally happen within 15 minutes of startup, sometimes in as little as 1-2 minutes though those are generally just audio issues such as heavy robotic and static noises. I have tested this to make sure it isn't cable or microphone related, and have also made sure it wasn't only in Discord.

The audio issues I face in discord happen separately, though when my pc is about to restart separate audio stuttering in either games or other applications will also happen. Similarly the game performance becomes worse and worse until it crashes a few minutes after I initially recognize the issues popping up.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS
Ram: Corsair 32GB DDR5 vengeance 6000 MHZ ( No oc)
SSD/HDD: 2x SSD 3x HDD as follows:
Kingston SA2000M8100G
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
ST1000DM003-1SB102
ST2000DM006-2DM164
WDC WD3200AAJS-00B4A0
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060
PSU: C750 Bronze NZXT (Currently about 20 months old, bought late 2022)
Chassis: Coolermaster CM690III Green
Monitor: I run 2 monitors, as following:
Main monitor: LG 27MR400-B 100HZ 27 inch
Secondary monitor: IIyama 24.5 Inch 75 HZ G2530H

Regarding the H50 cooler, Thanks for letting me know about that. I will look into that however my crashes and audio issues generally happen within 15 minutes of startup, sometimes in as little as 1-2 minutes though those are generally just audio issues such as heavy robotic and static noises. I have tested this to make sure it isn't cable or microphone related, and have also made sure it wasn't only in Discord.

The audio issues I face in discord happen separately, though when my pc is about to restart separate audio stuttering in either games or other applications will also happen. Similarly the game performance becomes worse and worse until it crashes a few minutes after I initially recognize the issues popping up.
Did you do a fresh install of windows when you changed hardware?

Aug 5, 2024
Did you do a fresh install of windows when you changed hardware?
I did upgrade from windows 10 to 11, but didn't do a fresh install after that. If that is a possible cause then I will go and do that tomorrow after I get home from work.

Just as a sidenote because I'm genuinely interested: I know that a fresh install of windows can help prevent app specific issues, but can it also cause more widespread issues like what I am experiencing? Or are you asking for a different reason?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I did upgrade from windows 10 to 11, but didn't do a fresh install after that. If that is a possible cause then I will go and do that tomorrow after I get home from work.

Just as a sidenote because I'm genuinely interested: I know that a fresh install of windows can help prevent app specific issues, but can it also cause more widespread issues like what I am experiencing? Or are you asking for a different reason?
Is it what's causing your problems I can't say, but I can tell you this.
Without doing a fresh install after changing the motherboard you get 3 possible outcomes.
1. It just works ( not usually)
2. It just don't work.
3. It works but your chasing problems for months.

EDIT You can probably take a poll here and almost everybody would say that would be the first place to start. If you decide to do a fresh install make sure to disconnect ALL drives except the one your putting windows on.

Last edited: