Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Hi, I am trying to overclock my CPU here are my system specs:

Motherboard : Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU : 1090T BE
Video : EVGA GTX 560
Memory : 2xCorsair 1600Mhz 4gb DDR3
Storage : 1TB HDD, 64GB SSD
Power Supply : Antec Earthwatts 650w (EA-650)
Cooling : Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

I followed the overclocking for black edition guide on these forums. I manually set my memory speed, timings and voltage. I disabled Cool and Quiet, C1E and Turbo Core before I began playing with the multiplier.

Like the guide suggested I increased the multiplier 0.5 at a time and watched the voltage increase on auto. The voltage automatically increased for the first 2 steps (16.5 and 17.0) after that it stayed at 1.4volts and didn't increase any further. I could boot into windows but after a few minutes I would crash no matter what I overclocked so I decided to manually adjust the voltages.

My motherboard automatically set the voltage to 1.35v for stock settings so I used that as a starting point and read that I should not increase the voltages beyond 1.5v. I only managed to get 3.6ghz stable but I had to increase the voltage to 1.5v's in order to attain this. My Temperature peaks out at 53C If I run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest so I do not believe temperature is the problem since AMD states 62C is max and a lot of people suggest not to go above 55C.

I am puzzled, I do not feel that I should need to increase the voltage by 0.15 in order to maintain a measly 400mhz overclock. I've read a lot of people get better overclocking results on only the stock voltage.

If anyone can help me figure out what the problem is or at least inform me on what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
G
Please remember, Overclocking is never guaranteed. It's pure luck if you get a chip that's a monday chip, wednesday chip, or a friday chip. (Monday=Start of the week, not so good, wednesday = midweek and things are hitting their stride, and friday= end of the week, so it's rushed out the door.) Please excuse the analogy but it's the best way I know to put things. Also a side note: Most Thuban's/Deneb's tend to peter out at about 4 GHz. Some less, some more, but 4 GHz is considered by many to be the limit. Just my 2 cents.

fuzzo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
im no pro man... but theres alot i would need to know to help you overclock.
whats your ram set at.
whats your fsb.
your nb frequency
and Ht frequency
understand that if you properly configure settings you may not need so much voltage.
and the excess voltage may become potential for even more OCing.

if you modify your settings and it doesnt post do u know how to restore bios defaults. i hope you do
and also if this happens be sure to restore your fan settings to max.
just as a safeguard hope u know how to do this.

theinzane

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

Ram is set to 1600mhz with 1.5v, ive tried with 1.55 and 1.6 (timings are 9-9-9-24)
FSB is 200
NB is 2400 with 1.225 volts
HT is 2000

I know how to restore my bios defaults if it doesnt post, as a matter of fact I havent had to manually reset it yet, if I fail to post and reboot my mobo seems to automatically go to default for the next boot.

fuzzo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
set your multiplier to 17
cpu volt 1.3750 ... if it dont post at this volt maybe up to 1.4
fsb at 225
set NB to 2000 auto volt
HT 2000 auto volt
set ram at 1600 auto

maybe your recent NB settings were not right
give that a go and see if it runs. see if your cpu overclocking
and stability improve maybe... before you go over 1.4volts at the cpu

my quad core is 1.33 volts
fsb 16 x 250 4000mhz

theinzane

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Well I couldn't for the life of me figure out the problem until I stumbled across this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5

Apparently it was LLC and having my voltages set to manual that was causing the problem. As this article suggests setting your voltage to offset and disabling LLC allows me to overclock with a lower voltage consumption.

I hope this helps anyone else that's having similar problems.

G

Please remember, Overclocking is never guaranteed. It's pure luck if you get a chip that's a monday chip, wednesday chip, or a friday chip. (Monday=Start of the week, not so good, wednesday = midweek and things are hitting their stride, and friday= end of the week, so it's rushed out the door.) Please excuse the analogy but it's the best way I know to put things. Also a side note: Most Thuban's/Deneb's tend to peter out at about 4 GHz. Some less, some more, but 4 GHz is considered by many to be the limit. Just my 2 cents.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS