Question Having trouble with random cpu spikes that cause lag.

Oct 13, 2022
Opened my browser to watch some yt videos and the whole browser was lagging while I was scrolling.Looked at task manager performance tab while scrolling in the browser and my cpu was spiking, but only to 30-40%, nothing else was spiking. I have had this issue before but managed to fix it with system restore. The 1st time it happened I was messing around with fan profiles so they would not be so loud, it started lagging after I did that and when I reverted it to default settings nothing changed so I did a system restore and that fixed it for a month. Now it is happening again but system restore does not fix it.(I wasnt messing with any fan settings this time) Hope someone can help.

Also, while playing Overwatch it was normal for a bit, but twice during the game everything started stuttering for 5 seconds then went back to normal.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600x
Radeon RX 6600
Gigabyte B550 aorus pro ac
16 gb 3200 mhz ram, dual channel.
2 nvme ssds 500gb and 1tb , 500gb has windows on it

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

You mentioned Task Manager.

Also try Resource Monitor and Process Explorer to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Process Explorer is Microsoft, free.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Observe first while not gaming and then while gaming. Determine what, if anything, changes.

And check Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may capturing some error code, warning, or informational event just before or at the time of the lags.

Oct 13, 2022
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

You mentioned Task Manager.

Also try Resource Monitor and Process Explorer to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Process Explorer is Microsoft, free.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Observe first while not gaming and then while gaming. Determine what, if anything, changes.

And check Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may capturing some error code, warning, or informational event just before or at the time of the lags.
PSU is a cooler master mwe 750w 80 plus gold, its new 2moths old.
My whole setup is pretty much brand new, not older than 2 months, except the ram, that is about a year old.
I tried system restore again but to an older restore point and it fixed it, if it happens again I will let you know and give more details with resource monitor. Thank you for the help! ;)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022
You are welcome.

Two other tools that may also prove useful in the future: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
Turns out it was not the cpus issue, it was the gpus driver. Updated my AMD Adrenaline edition driver to the current latest version and the problem came back. Rolled back the update and it was fine. Looked at the amd driver website and the newest version is not even recommended so learnt my mistake.