[SOLVED] Having trouble with Win10 fresh install on Lenovo s100 netbook

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
So I apparently know enough about pc's to dig myself into a hole. Lol. I picked up a 14" Lenovo s100 netbook (32gb ssd/2gb ram) in perfect condition for next to nothing. I actually built a pc a few years ago, but this thing is giving me fits. I tried to load a fresh install of Win10 on this laptop but I was getting errors. The errors didn't have an explanation. It just said it couldn't complete. So I did a "restore", which worked. Then I saw it was a 64bit version which isn't optimum for 2gb ram. I made a 32bit installation usb but I couldn't get the laptop to boot from the usb. After reading where others have had the same issues, I made some changes to the bios, I finally got it to boot from the usb. As I was selecting the partition to install windows I apparently deleted the partition that had the boot record. I restarted the laptop, so now when I try to start the laptop, if I try to start in legacy bios mode with the usb windows installation, it just cycles back to the boot menu. If I start in uefi bios mode, I get the error message 0xc0000098 that bcd is missing and I need to install an installation disc. I don't have an installation cd.
Does anyone have the magic combination of bios settings for this netbook so I can repair the partions and install windows 10 from a usb stick? Is it not possible to install 32 bit windows on this laptop? Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Solution
D
64 bit is optimum for 64 bit cpu. I think you are confused. Use the windows media creation tool to create a bootable windows 10 usb and install 64-bit windows 10 on your computer
D

Deleted member 14196

64 bit is optimum for 64 bit cpu. I think you are confused. Use the windows media creation tool to create a bootable windows 10 usb and install 64-bit windows 10 on your computer

Solution

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Thanks! I had read that 64 bit needed more than the 2gb ram this netbook has. I just assumed that a 64 bit system could run 32 bit windows from what I had read online. Guess they're wrong? I stayed up super late last night and figured it out. First I went ahead and did what you advised and reformatted the usb stick and put 64 bit on it. Then I had to use the command prompt to convert the unallocated space on the tiny 32gb ssd to gpt. I was then able to install without any issues.

D

Deleted member 14196

32 bit os cannot use more than 4gb. But that does not mean with a 64-bit processor that you want to put a 32 bit os on it.