Hawking: Humans Only Have 1000 Years Left on Earth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Life on Earth will go on after human extinction. There was life before, and it will be after. It's the way of life. Nothing wrong with it.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Life on Earth will go on after human extinction. There was life before, and it will be after. It's the way of life. Nothing wrong with it.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

daimerous

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I hate how we put all this trust in a man who's whole life is based on theories and guesses. He can't know and can't predict what will happen in a 1000 years. No one can. his statements are baseless, and have no facts supporting them. There are way too many problems here on Earth that need fixing before we start gallivanting around space. $63 million a seat...not worth it. The nearly 3/4 of a billion dollars could stop hunger and homelessness in so many countries, but instead we spend it on a few people to go into space and do nothing but float around and waste money. Lets fix our problems here so we don't need to rely on space for our future. Putting money and resources in all the wrong places.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
A Dyson sphere and/or several Babylon 5 super space station's would be a nice start where we could live in the future with some deep space nine stations as outlook posts for asteroids, comets, black holes or whatever that poses an impact threat. A Noah's Ark in space for the animals.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
A Dyson sphere and/or several Babylon 5 super space station's would be a nice start where we could live in the future with some deep space nine stations as outlook posts for asteroids, comets, black holes, super/hyper nova's or whatever that poses an impact threat. A Noah's Ark in space for the animals too.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Reading an article on The Register the other day, we are close to a solar powered fusion propulsion that could take us to Mars in 1 month and no need for aerobraking, so roll forward just 100 years we could well be pushing out into the stars. Good prediction.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... I think that he is referring the resourses. If we don't get out in 1000 years we are so much out of resources, that we can not get out of earth any more. We run out of oil, uranium, and other minerals that are needed to build space exploring ships. So there will be humans allso after 1000 years but they will be getting back to the stone age after that.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
The human race is like a plague of the universe, a virus gone out of control, or a bacteria infection the galaxy cant get rid of. Just face it we are the epidemic, the cast away gods, the dark matter, the anti-christ. We all will just continue to fuck things up. That's why cant travel to anywhere outside our solar system... Cause we are in prison! Cause its all about me me me me me me me, myself and I. :p

wspinden

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Volcanic eruptions, asteroids, nuclear weapons, etc. If you understand the world, no species survives here permanently. We will have our life cycle, but inevitably if we don't leave the planet, our time will come to an end due to any unknown catastrophe.

He's not predicting when, but rather making a logical statement based on the history of the world, where we are geologically, politically, socially, and what we are facing ahead.

We have around 200,000 years behind us, and maybe much longer ahead. But how we survive in the future is another question. Perhaps a natural disaster wipes out 90% of our species and we lose our progress, only surviving until the final hit happens.

Who knows? The point is, the only way to guarantee the survival of our species is to spread out in the Universe.

It really is not enough to just say we have time, when we really don't know how much...

It's one thing to disagree with his views, but you have to respect that he is far more informed on the subject, and his views are a culmination of all of his aquired knowledge.

Go ahead and refute it, but be prepared to give a very informed reason why.

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
CIVILization is a lot older than 5k .. take a look at tepigly baku in turkey, that's 13k. Initial reason for people to come together? ha great, it was to party dude, not war or religion, just feastin and getting it on wiv chix n drugs.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Since there is no mention as to why or how Hawking came to this conclusion, there is no reason to either agree or disagree with his hypothesis based on the content of this article.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
If we turn to our oceans, we could extend that estimate significantly and better prepare ourselves for the extremes of space. Ocean based colonies that desalinate, harvest ocean sea life and produced their own energy from hydrogen, solar and wave motion is not out of reach. Mining the ocean floor would create the technology that would be equally adept at mining space since the extremes would be comparable.

thechaver

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You ever heard that thing about how the military gets everything first. You know, like how they had been using the internet that we use today years before the public? Well, I like to think of the NASA Space Program along the same lines. They've been to and back to these places we talk about about and probably more, but they keep it under wraps from the public till they feel it is safe to reveal it. Then they will do a big official planned trip to the the Moon or Mars or where ever it is they're gonna go. The government, like God, works in mysterious ways... Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.