Question HD 4600 [4710HQ] iGPU will not boost past base frequency ?

boddole

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Pretty much what the title says. Got a older laptop and noticed something seemed 'off'. Noticed that according to MSI Afterburner / HWInfo64 that the iGPU never boosts past is base frequency (400 of 1200), so any game or similar you see something like 20% cpu 100% gpu usage.

CPU seems fine otherwise and heat is mid 50's tops.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

boddole

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Is this with the computer plugged in? Have you checked your power plan to make sure its not on power saving or anything like that?
Yeah, its plugged in. As far as I can tell, all the power options are set to 'Maxed' / '100% / 'Performance'. Granted, there are a lot of them but I think I've got them. Ran the cpu against Cinebench, seems normal, its just the iGPU.

I'm concerned its going to be some dumb driver / bios limitation locked away by Toshiba (though it seems harsh even for them). I noticed the only 'approved' driver package for the iGPU is from 2013. I tried installing a more modern 'normal' package over top of it, system won't allow it. Tried removing the 'approved' driver (relying on the windows default vga driver) then tried installing the 'normal' one, now system gets stuck during boot /sad. Not a big deal, no issue just re-installing the OS, just don't know what else to try if installing the 'normal' drivers first (on a clean install) won't fix it.

Run something simple like the GPU-Z render test to put a small load on the GPU. While this test is running, have a look at the HWiNFO throttling reasons. This information should provide a clue.

QfQHrXe.png

Try running ThrottleStop. In the TPL window, check the MMIO Lock box.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

GhEqUEV.png

Post some ThrottleStop pics if you need help.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

boddole

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
It could potentially be normal behaviour if the TDP budget available to the CPU and iGPU is low. What model is your laptop?
That strikes me as being pretty odd, full cpu power and minimal iGPU? I guess it could be possible. [See the bottom of this post].

Run something simple like the GPU-Z render test to put a small load on the GPU. While this test is running, have a look at the HWiNFO throttling reasons. This information should provide a clue.

QfQHrXe.png

Try running ThrottleStop. In the TPL window, check the MMIO Lock box.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

GhEqUEV.png

Post some ThrottleStop pics if you need help.
Ahg, I should have thought of that...good idea. [See the bottom of this post].

////
Sorry for the enormous delay between posts...got totally consumed by the holidays but I've finally gotten back around to this goofy thing. So before having read anything I re-installed the OS and just installed Intel's real driver package first, the result - no problems, everything is fine...Soooo, great job Toshiba, always nice when the maker is trying to constantly kneecap you.

Thank you for the help, if that didn't work both of your lines of thought would definitely have been worth pursuing.

Reactions: Nighthawk117