Hd 6850 enough??

pit_1209

Distinguished
I got a hd 6850 with an athlon 2 x3 440, 2 gb ram ddr2 800mhz, psu ocz modxtream pro 500w.

Well the problem is that i´m going to buy a new monitor but i don´t know which resolution will be the best in terms of perfomance/quality, 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

I don´t want to pulling down the config every time i´m playing a game, i had an hd 5670 and i was always messing with the quality just to get nice fps, i want that gpu to last at least 1 and a half year or so and like 40/45 average fps without stuttering maybe some AA if is really needed, i really like filters but is the quality is decent i won´t be pushing any hard, so which is the best resolution?.

Solution
@ pit_1209: I'm using a 21.5" 1080 screen now and had a 24" display (the cat knocked mine over, killing it :( ) but it was really too large for a desk or table top, I was just far too close to get the full benefits, the smaller size is far better IMO.
Right now there are some truly excellent flat panels out there but they're not going to look or feel the same as a CRT and we all see differently so I'd strongly advise you to visit local suppliers and SEE the displays running before making a decision.
For genaral use TN based panels are probably best-they're fast, fairly inexpensive and the later ones can rival more expensive VA and IPS panels for colour reproduction if not viewing angles.

A few hints:
Do not play at any resolution other...
With so many different games out there and they all have different requirements to get a inexpensive card that will give an average fps of a certian number is hard to do. If you could narrow it down to what games your looking to play and get 40 to 45 fps it would help.
The 6850 is a nice card and will perform well and depending on what games you will be playing you should be able to play at 1920x1080. But then you run into a game like BF3 and the 6850 may struggle at 1920x1080.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i do not know for sure but your processor is holding you back, i think you should buy i5 2500k with a z68 or p67 board and try out your current gpu then see the performance. after that if more performance is needed buy at least gtx560ti. i think you will be good for at least 3 years , could play 45+ fps all games at high resolution. a little bit lowering may be necessary but other than that you are good.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i am sorry you need to buy a monitor!!!

i think the lower resolution you go the better because after 1 or 2 years games will need more power . and more resolution means your gpu has to work more that is why i think if you already have a monitor of 1360x768 at 18.5 inchs then you do not need to change the monitor. i think you should save that money to buy new cpu and mobo.

Although your current system is a little weak for heavy gaming (more memory would likely come in handy) it should be plenty for all but the most demanding titles and the 6850 is still a fair pixel pusher.
That said we often upgrade or change our systems while keeping a decent monitor for years, so I'd suggest you invest in a good 1080 screen rather than going for a lower resolution only to find it's noot good enough for your shiny, new system in a few years time.

pit_1209

Distinguished
coozie7 that´s what i think but rigth now i can afford to change my specs, i have an old crt 17" 1280x1024 i really need an upgrade, but don´t know if is really worth the 1080p screen taking in count that it will cost more and about the gaming experience maybe is not that necessary i don´t know.
changing anything but the monitor is out of the question right now, updating is like a ladder, and always will be someone telling you to step a bit higher and in the end they will asking you to spend in 3 monitors at 2560x1400, 3 gtx 680 and an i7 3960x or something like that, and maybe that will last 2 years at least.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
hahaha

well said pit sell said
you are right

but do you really have a problem with crt monitor because professional gamers like crt

but if you do not game a lot then go for a good 1080p monitor, you will surely be able to watch movies better. but in gaming that will only make you feel sad about your gpu. you maybe able to play games this year but after that you will need to lessen you settings as per new games come. a good four core intel processor will surely make you a luck and that will enable you to play games at least four years. i think you should wait for the ivy bridge for cpu upgrade.

pit_1209

Distinguished
i don´t have any "problem" with crt monitors, but they´re huge and heavy as hell, and i think that a led monitor with more res will upgrade my gaming experience. i just want to know where is the line when little changes in quality don´t worth the money speaking about resolution.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
your crt is a very good one if the resolution is 1280x1024 at 17 inchs

now if you buy a good lcd or led about 21.5 inchs then you will surely feel the difference in games if those games can be played at full resolution and that is a problem though you will be able to play some games at that resolution but games like metro2033 and upcoming titles like farcry3 will take some more power of your gpu so to have some quality you have to lessen the resolution. and then you will see what kind of stupid lcd and leds are. if you lessen the resolution they become demons all kind of stupid things are seen then.

yes , crts are big and heavy but gamers have a workstation so things need not to be moved. the only reason i am saying this is, i really think buying a low resolution led or lcd will be a waste of money. if you have to buy a monitor then 1080p is the lowest higher is better. but as you are not able to change cpu and gpu at the same time how will you able to use that extra resolution. so save the money and buy a ivy bridge then think about a new gpu and monitor.

pit_1209

Distinguished
ooh man if that`s true then i really don`t know what to do rigth know, here is some kind of difficult to get the money on a good pc, i`m dominican and almost everyone is like at least 6 years back in computers tech even the stores, a hd 6850 is at $200 that`s the best price i found so i opted to buy it online, getting new pc will take at least another year, anybody spend that much in a pc around here, they`re too busy getting blackberrys and iphone and all that stuff that i doesn`care.

someone bring some ligth in this matter please i`m in the dark

chinchilla_bob

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

I think you already know the answer readnig the way you wrote your post.... you will lose a few frames at 1080 but just drop your image quality slightly in game to balance that out if it becomes a problem. To put into perspective you will probably drop maybe only one quality setting in game AT WORST and you may find on other games you just need to tone down AA or distance at which detail appears.

Memory however is cheap and you may find throwing another 2GB in your system MIGHT offset the odd FPS so factor this in when you buy the 1080 screen.

Your next hardware upgrade based on your current system will probably mean you will run all games 1080 a breeze so invest in the monitor now knowing it will last you longer than any hardware component for your system.

@ pit_1209: I'm using a 21.5" 1080 screen now and had a 24" display (the cat knocked mine over, killing it :( ) but it was really too large for a desk or table top, I was just far too close to get the full benefits, the smaller size is far better IMO.
Right now there are some truly excellent flat panels out there but they're not going to look or feel the same as a CRT and we all see differently so I'd strongly advise you to visit local suppliers and SEE the displays running before making a decision.
For genaral use TN based panels are probably best-they're fast, fairly inexpensive and the later ones can rival more expensive VA and IPS panels for colour reproduction if not viewing angles.

A few hints:
Do not play at any resolution other than 1080, flat panels do not display very well outside of their native resolution.
Turn AA down or off.
In most cases AF has little effect on framerates- go crazy.
Shadows, reflections and other lighting effects can have a heavy impact on framerates, turn them down or off.
The Human eye is good at filling in missing detail, you do not really need to see every pore in the skin of the creature you're about to blast with the shotgun, nor every blade of grass in crystal clarity- turn those detail settings down.
Try to leave the draw distance as long as possible, there are few things more distracting in a game than objects that suddenly pop into being.

Solution