[SOLVED] HD vs UHD viewing distance?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I've never had a flat screen TV before. The largest I can accommodate is 43". My viewing distance is ~110" and I cannot change that due to how the room is configured. I've been reading up on viewing distances and see that my current distance seems to be OK for HD (1080p), but is too far away to get the benefits of UHD (4k). Most reviews I've read indicate that for a 43" screen anything more than 4' means that you won't even see the benefits of UHD. Should I stick with HD? (My current TV is a CRT and if it weren't for the fact that my receiver is dying (which doesn't have HDMI), I wouldn't even bother getting one.

Solution
Thanks--yes--I saw this chart yesterday. I guess this indicates that since the largest I can fit is 43" and my viewing distance is fixed at 9.16 feet, UND/4K is definitely not worth it, right?
It is not worth paying extra just for the display. But for other features you MAY desire, a 4K display may be the best choice.
Here is a good chart.

chart_Rtings.com_.jpg

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks--yes--I saw this chart yesterday. I guess this indicates that since the largest I can fit is 43" and my viewing distance is fixed at 9.16 feet, UND/4K is definitely not worth it, right?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks. Based on my searches, the available 43" HDs are pretty limited at this point. I'm just just worried whether viewing a 43" 4K at that distance will look worse than HD.

I'm just just worried whether viewing a 43" 4K at that distance will look worse than HD.
I have only seen one post that complained about possible unacceptable UPSCALING.

At the end though I don't think you have a choice, all new features comes in a 4K package. 99% of people want a brighter set and for that, I don't think you will find a >1000 nits on a 1080.

The only thing you have to worry, may also have to upgrade that AVR to 4K.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I have only seen one post that complained about possible unacceptable UPSCALING.

Good to know. I've always had IPS screens for my desktops, but never a flat screen TV.

The only thing you have to worry, may also have to upgrade that AVR to 4K.

Thanks. Regarding the receiver, the whole reason I'm looking at flat screens at all is because my old receiver is not long for this world. If I get a new receiver, I'll finally have HDMI. The receiver I'm considering is the Denon AVR-X2500H.

The flat screen I'm looking at is the Samsung RU7100 43".

It won't look worse, but what the chart is saying is that it won't look significantly better.

OK--thanks--not really a concern.

Are you limited in size due to some TV stand you are using? I would just replace that with a flat stand to get the size TV you want. 50" range 4k TVs are pretty affordable now and you end up with a good viewing area where you can see more of the image in your face vs the room.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Are you limited in size due to some TV stand you are using? I would just replace that with a flat stand to get the size TV you want. 50" range 4k TVs are pretty affordable now and you end up with a good viewing area where you can see more of the image in your face vs the room.

I'm limited by the space along the wall where it will be. I ended up going with the 43" Samsung I mentioned above. I also replaced my receiver with the Denon AVR X2500H. Very happy with both.