HD5770 vs GTS450

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaveli84

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
For an LG 19" 1440 x 900:

Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5 VAPOR-X OC Edition Lite
or
Inno3D GTS450 1GB DDR5

Radeon's core is OC'd from 850 to 860. Vapor-X supposedly keeps it extremely cool. Consumes less power than the GTS450. Costs 22$ more than the GTS450 (best deal possible where i live).

GTS has PhysX and CUDA (i'm mildly interested in CUDA, but am not sure if it's actually better than AMD's FireStream).

I'm not interested in folding. Mostly interested in gaming, but video editing/transcoding is also crucial.
I've read that Nvidia cards tend to scale better, and from what i know, they also provide better driver updates. I am personally more inclined to get an Nvidia card, unless the 5770 offers a clear performance boost when it comes to high gaming settings with decent AA.

Cruised this site, and the web, and the results were inconclusive. I'm still pretty much conflicted. Which should i get??

Solution
5770 is a little more expensive and a little faster, 450 cheaper and a little slower.
Eider one is great. I have the 5770 and i am satisfied with what it can do.
And i have my vapor-x overclocked to 900mhz core and 1300 memory and i get low temps when gaming.
I reached 960Mhz on core and 1350 on memory but it depends on the card, not everyone can make it that far.
I get 5-10fps plus from that overclocking and never had driver problem, you just need to see witch release works better for you.

With the gts450 besides the cuda and phys-X you can reach the speed of the 5770 stock with an overclock. Phys-X is used in many games but only a very small number of those use video card phys-X, most use CPU phys-X(example Mass Effect 2).
Cuda..i...
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS