Question HDD and SSD can't be detected by bios

Oct 19, 2020
I am at wits end. I have gone through 3 drives, two SSD's and now a HDD with three different computers trying to get something to recognize and initialize these disks. One was an older Crucial M500, another is a SanDisk SSD Plus, and the third is a brand new Seagate Barracuda.

I have two older Z77 systems that I had laying around, so I decided to build them up with a few budget parts to make some okay gaming machines for my girlfriends boys. The MSI Z77MA-GA45 was already up and running just fine with the SanDisk SSD. I had an ASUS Z77 Sabertooth that was my old build that I threw a GTX 1650 into so that the other boy could play as well.

First let us start with the Sabertooth. Set it all up with a Seasonic Focus Plus 650W power supply. I had it from a previous build, and I didn't have enough power cables for it, so I had to swap a bit here and there. Long story short, it wouldn't post. When I finally got it to post, as soon as I connected any SATA power cables, it would trip and shut down immediately. After some searching on here, I realized that the modular cables are specific to each PSU. I went and bought a cheap Corsair partially modular and it powered up just fine no problem...but then, neither of the M500 nor the Seagate Barracuda could be detected. After trying every SATA cable I own (about 2 dozen), I removed both and plugged them into a USB HDD adapter, which is where the nightmare began. The M500 had previously had windows installed on it, working just fine with the same MoBo and the same RAM and the same CPU. Wouldn't initialize in Disk Management. Diskpart couldn't give me any info other than it existed. Size 0, no volume info, nothing. After everything, I installed a brand new M500 and bam, the system recognized it. Cool, it was an older M500, so maybe it was past its time.

Then the system wouldn't recognize the brand new, out of the box Barracuda after I installed windows. So I plug that into my laptop to initialize, and I get the same error; Incorrect Function. Diskpart is showing 0's across the board, responding exactly the same as the SSD.

I then decide to take the MSI Z77 out and put it into a new case that I had laying around from a build I did for my girls. I was having some cooling issues with the smaller mini ATX case, so I decided to change it up. Mind you, the MSI system was working just fine, no issues. I plug it in with the same Seasonic Focus Plus and using THE CABLES THAT BELONG TO THE PSU, I get a EFI map not found error. In Bios, nothing was showing up in the SATA ports. I had the SanDisk SSD plugged in and another 2TB HDD Seagate Barracuda. I replace the SanDisk with another brand new M500 (I bought like 4 of these suckers on sale) and the system recognizes it and allows me to install windows, but still isn't reading the Barracuda.

So here is my question; what on god's green earth am I doing wrong? I get 3 drives in a matter of a week that all get the "incorrect function" error suddenly, two of which were working just fine before, and one that was brand new out of the box. Diskpart isn't working at all to clean or format these disks. I list disks, it gives me two disks on my laptop (the primary for the laptop, disk 0, and disk 1, the disk plugged into the USB adapter). I have tried to select volumes, but they don't exist. I do a clean and then try to create partition primary, error. Incorrect function.

I have scoured the forums looking for solutions to this, seeing what others have done...this is the 3rd disk in a row that has THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM and I can't figure it out. I am out of disks at this point to put in these computers, and I'm out of money for purchasing disks for these darn computers (I'm trying so hard not to curse....I am screaming at my walls at this point).

What do I do? What am I doing wrong? What haven't I done.

Please, internet people....help me.

Thank you in advance.

Oct 19, 2020
Update: No response on any of the drives in Diskpart.
DiskPart has encountered an error: Incorrect function.
See the System Event Log for more information.

VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 80070001@02070008

Thanks again