Question HDD and SSD won't show up in BIOS at the same time

StarBreaker987

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
So for reference, I have a 120 gb ssd that I have windows installed on and use as my boot drive, and I also have a 3 tb hard drive that I store all of my other stuff on. Earlier today I was moving a really big file on my hard drive when this file transfer suddenly slowed down and then stopped. I tried to cancel it but it froze up my whole system so i restarted my computer. I tried to move it again but the same thing happened. After restarting my computer again, it no longer recognized my hard drive, the disk manager it says it doesn't exist. I assumed my HDD was dead but just to be sure I tried swapping sata ports and cables, which didn't fix anything. The really weird thing though is that now my HDD and SSD won't show up in the BIOS at the same time. If I have only the SSD plugged in, it will show up, and sometimes the HDD will show up if its the only one plugged in. But if I have them both plugged in, only the SSD will show up in the BIOS. Also for some reason it now takes a really long time to boot. This is really confusing behavior and I'm not sure if its an issue with my hard drive or something else. I have no idea whats going on, can anyone help me?

I'm using a WD Blue 3Tb drive and a Samsung 850 EVO 120 Gb SSD

popatim

Titan
Do they both show up in Disk Management?
Perhaps they both got assigned the Same drive letter (c:) and you just need to right click on the 3T and change it back to D:

Otherwise open and admin level command prompt, enter in dispkpart and when that loads, enter in list disk
does it show there?

StarBreaker987

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
So disk manager lists my SSD as Disk 0, and it shows a Disk 1 (which used to be my HDD), but it doesn't recognize it as anything. When I try to initialize it, it says that the device doesn't exist. The disk list in the cmd prompt also lists a disk 1, but it says it has 0 B of storage.