[SOLVED] HDD Brand

Stewart_5

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Hi all, Im about to get a new HDD, toss up between a WD and Seagate.
Leaning towards Seagate.

The baraccuda 8TB sounds reasonable, (price in UK is around £180)
Or the Ironwoolf, around the same price, but only 6TB.
Both have the same Cache, 256, and same speed 5,400 rpm.
In addition, the Ironwoolf Pro, bit more expensive, but 5 yr warantee.

What would you guys recomend?
Ta

Solution
The Barracuda is probably an SMR drive, good for archive, not for your main. they also claim that no Ironwolf drives use SMR, including the Pro, so you should be safe with one of those.

WD Red, Red Pro, & Black also do not use SMR is that size: 8tb+ (they claim)

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
What's the warranty lifespan of the Seagate HDD? If the WD HDD has alot more years of warranty than the Seagate HDD, I'd choose the WD HDD. But if it's only like 1 or 2 years difference between the two of the HDDs, then I'd suggest the 8tb :)

Both Seagate and WD are good so... :) xd.

Stewart_5

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
What's the warranty lifespan of the Seagate HDD? If the WD HDD has alot more years of warranty than the Seagate HDD, I'd choose the WD HDD. But if it's only like 1 or 2 years difference between the two of the HDDs, then I'd suggest the 8tb :)

Both Seagate and WD are good so... :) xd.
One had 2 years, the ironwoof pro 5 years.

popatim

Titan
The Barracuda is probably an SMR drive, good for archive, not for your main. they also claim that no Ironwolf drives use SMR, including the Pro, so you should be safe with one of those.

WD Red, Red Pro, & Black also do not use SMR is that size: 8tb+ (they claim)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Also, focusing on the warranty period is not a great idea.
That is merely a fleetwide indication. Not a guarantee.
It has little to do with the single physical specimen in your system.

I've had drives die at 5 weeks out of the box.
But the vast majority of storage device long outlast their warranty period.
Even among the BackBlaze failure rate stats, current worst case among multiple manufacturers and models is 3.3%. (Except for that one Seagate anomaly of 30% a few years ago)

Just know that ALL storage devices are subject to fail, and physical drive fail is not even close to the top of way to lose your data.
A comprehensive backup routine is proof against physical drive fail, as well as all the other ways for your data to go byebye.