Question HDD Corrupted but SSD works perfectly fine?

Jul 6, 2023
I recently ran into a problem regarding my HDDs. My files are always corrupted mysteriously when I put anything in them which could be videos or game files. I tried switching around the SATA cords and ports I connect my HDD to no avail while my SSD runs perfectly fine. I recently bought another HDD thinking that would fix it but it still gets corrupted anyways while already switching around ports

Any idea how I can get it running fine again?

(I use an MSI A320M Pro E motherboard and 1TB seagates and a 128 kingston ssd)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I recently bought another HDD thinking that would fix it but it still gets corrupted anyways
What makes you think that HDDs itself are sound? Since data corruption, as such, happens on the target drive.

Corruption happening during the transfer is unlikely and you can also easily test that. Just copy/paste the data to USB flash thumb drive and look if the result remains good or gets corrupted.

Another possibility is source file corruption, where when you copy/paste it, corruption is also copied over.

Btw, Seagate drives, out of 4 HDD makers, have the worst reliability. WD drives have better reliability (i used to use WD Blue 1TB drives, WD10EZEX). Toshiba drives have even better reliability while HGST (Hitachi) drives are on the top.

Reactions: CountMike

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I use a program called FreeFileSync to check if the file copy process has corrupted any files in the destination folder.

https://freefilesync.org/

If you set the 'Compare' option in FreeFileSync to 'File Content' (use cog wheel to adjust) the program performs a byte-by-byte comparison of all files in one folder/drive, with those in the other folder/drive.

You set the source and destination folders in the left and right hand windows in FreeFileSync, then click 'Compare'.

If there are any differences (corruption) between the two folders, they show up in one or both windows.

Have you run any test programs on your hard drives to see if there are any errors?

Jul 6, 2023
What makes you think that HDDs itself are sound? Since data corruption, as such, happens on the target drive.

Corruption happening during the transfer is unlikely and you can also easily test that. Just copy/paste the data to USB flash thumb drive and look if the result remains good or gets corrupted.

Another possibility is source file corruption, where when you copy/paste it, corruption is also copied over.

Btw, Seagate drives, out of 4 HDD makers, have the worst reliability. WD drives have better reliability (i used to use WD Blue 1TB drives, WD10EZEX). Toshiba drives have even better reliability while HGST (Hitachi) drives are on the top.

Im sorry im new to these terms but from what I understood is Im trying to carry over files and whatnot from another drive which I am not doing. I am currently only trying to put in steam games and some video recordings on these drives because they take up lots of space.

The games however i think get “corrupted” overtime which makes them run slow, which is also the same for the recordings I put in. I reformat both of the drives but with no luck.

Basically everything I put into the drives get corrupted

Jul 6, 2023
I use a program called FreeFileSync to check if the file copy process has corrupted any files in the destination folder.

https://freefilesync.org/

If you set the 'Compare' option in FreeFileSync to 'File Content' (use cog wheel to adjust) the program performs a byte-by-byte comparison of all files in one folder/drive, with those in the other folder/drive.

You set the source and destination folders in the left and right hand windows in FreeFileSync, then click 'Compare'.

If there are any differences (corruption) between the two folders, they show up in one or both windows.

Have you run any test programs on your hard drives to see if there are any errors?
Im not trying to carry over any old files from the other drives I just want to put some steam games on it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The games however i think get “corrupted” overtime
That does not happen if the drive is sound. Data on drives isn't like e.g food, that rots the more time passes. Instead you can put data on a drive and it will survive on that drive for years, decades even, without corruption.

With you, there is some issue. Like i said, could be software, could be hardware. Haven't seen you take steps to mitigate the issue. Instead, i get the feeling you want us to say a magic word and then "poof" you're free of your issues.

Data doesn't get corrupted over time without a reason. Speaking of it:
* Malware can do rounds, scrambling some sectors, corrupting data.
* If you move the data around on the drive, OS could write the data on a bad sector, thus corrupting it.

which makes them run slow, which is also the same for the recordings I put in.
This is not data corruption.

If game files would be corrupted, game wouldn't launch at all, or would crash at certain point (due do missing/corrupt files). Same is with video. Corrupted video can play, at normal speed, but you'd see artifacts within the video itself. Or the video ends abruptly. Also, no seek would work within video, if it's index is gone/corrupted.

In this video, at 15:32, you can see what video file corruption looks like:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

What you're describing, is low system performance, most likely hogged by bloatware or malware. Including game cheats.

@USAFRet , care to give us a hand here?