HDD failure: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA: NTFS.SYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsamilla

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hard Drive failure: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA (NTFS.Sys failed)
Something is corrupt in this hard drive to the point of any time it is plugged in this error will come up. I cannot boot to a USB when it is plugged in, and it also BSODs a running PC if I use an HDD caddy, once the device tries to mount. So, I cannot run any type of scan/repair or anything on it to try to recover the data because I cannot get it to connect to anything without BSOD.

Are there any suggestions on something I can do to try and recover some data from this drive? The owner lost emails and some files (the last backup was in January).

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you.

Matsamilla , this is how one would normally fix this problem but as you can not get any access to the drive try this below.

IMPORTANT: You’ll need to be logged into Windows on the problem computer to try any of these solutions. If you can’t log into Windows, power on and off your PC 3 times to perform a hard reboot and restart it in Safe Mode, then try these solutions.

1. Run a disk check and memory check
2. Undo recent changes
3.Temporarily disable any third-party antivirus applications
4. Disable automatic paging file size management
5. Update device drivers

Matsamilla

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thank you for your response.

That was the solution I was trying to do, unfortunately, it just continues in a boot loop when the hard drive is hooked up. It does attempt to boot into safe mode after boot looping 3 times, but it doesn't make it into that either. Even if I try to boot to a Windows 10 install USB to run a repair on it, any time the drive is connected to the computer it BSODs it.

It is my understanding that this device was working properly, then the house had a power outage later that day of last known good use (long enough to deplete the battery backup that the computer is hooked up to) and since then the BSOD boot loop has been present. It is my theory that this happened during a windows update since losing power on a computer on standby shouldn't be an issue.

Matsamilla

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Yeah, I think I may be SOL... I can't get into safe mode and it BSODs any other PC I hook it up to as well. I've tried different RAM in the PC as well. I already have another HDD installed up & running on it, was just hoping to recover some data for them. Thank you for your help.

Best of luck. Will be keeping fingers crossed.

Mar 6, 2019
Hi,

Has this problem been solved? This exact same thing happened to my external hard drive recently and all computers that i plug into, goes into BSODs. No diagnosis and troubleshooting can be done because there was absolutely no access. My entire 5years of existence was inside that hard drive and i was going nuts. Checked the web for solutions but i was stuck with this thread.

What i did however, was to plug the hard drive in a non-windows based operating system. In my case, it was my friend's mac. As suspected, it didnt crash the OS and it did access it, i recovered all my files and reformatted the drive on that same pc. Now i'm using the same drive but backed it up on another just in case the HD gods slap me again. Haha

It wasnt actually corrupted, i think there's just a missing system file that causes windows to crash when it's trying to access it. It happened when i didnt unplug the hard drive while windows was updating at shutdown.

It worked for me. I sure hope it works for you too.

Reactions: kennyshin1
Mar 21, 2019
Hi, really interested in this. Had exactly the same problem as Quicksilver. I've connected the hard drive to an android system and using 'Pharoh' file explorer can see that the files are still there. Not sure how to recover / transfer them though. Can the hard drive be restored and still keep what is on it ? Any ideas much appeaciated !!

You might be able to boot into Linux and use its tools to try and recover the content, then fix the content, and image back onto a new disk. If there is a failure which breaks USB it won't work any better in Linux, but odds are pretty good you can get further that way than from windows.

Mar 21, 2019
Ok so was able to transfer files to ad card using pharaoh and master commander and then to new PC. Worked well later reattached hdd to laptop via USB and it allowed me to repair it (and can now access all the files on it again) weird but appears solved thanks to everyone

Jul 12, 2019
OMG you guys are the best!!! I was pulling my hair out trying to work out why my HDD was BSOD every computer when I connected it via USB. So lucky i didn't wipe my HDD cause I connected it to my Android box and I can see all the files! Copying it across now!! Just curious if anyone kept their HDD after this issue, I am so paranoid the problem may happen again even if I nuke the HDD.

bojan_vladek

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
I just wanna add to the plate, this is what saved my skin as well. I mean kinda... I ended up using a sata to usb converter and plugged it into an old windows xp laptop that i still keep around for no reason. no bsods or freezes happened to i was able to use dskchk /f f: and it fixed the corrupt sectors about windows file systems. i love this thread and i love yall
peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.