HDD freezes for a few seconds

Dec 11, 2018
Hello, I have a problem where my hard disk (Local disk D) freezes for a few seconds. It happens when i open file explorer and go into D drive (that is my HDD). It is rare, but it happens. When i open Local Disk D explorer is not responding, but all the other programs are working fine. Also i hear that my HDD starts to spin faster for a few seconds, and then everything goes back to normal. On SSD I have installed windows 10 education 64-bit and programs, and on my HDD are stored my music and stuff. My HDD is Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200RPM and SSD is Samsung EVO 850. I don't know if the problem is with my SSD or HDD. I tried everything: chkdisk, sfc/ scannow, I even went into power options and changed option "turn off hard disk after" to never. Drivers are not the issue, because I installed win 10 a week ago, with all the drivers downloaded from motherboard's site.

Solution
Just a couple of other ideas....

Look for some scheduled task: AV scan, backup, update, drive diagnostic, etc...

Could be related to some flaw in Windows 10 Education.

Try using Resource Monitor to observe your system.

I.e., launch Resource Monitor and watch your system for a few minutes - especially Disk Activity.

Slide the window to one side and leave open.

Then open File Explorer and go to D: drive as you normally do.

You may catch some activity or action that corresponds with the freezes.

Task Manager can be used in much the same manner.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you checked that all data and power cables are fully and firmly connected. Gently push in the plugs to be certain.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

And remember to include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Keep in mind that anything you make cause loss of data. Be sure that you have working backups of your "music and stuff".

Dec 11, 2018
Everything is plugged just fine. I found out about this problem about a year ago thinking the HDD is the problem. I bought a new one, but the problem stil persists sometimes (maybe once a week). Procesor, motherboard and RAM memory are bought a week ago completely new. PSU is fine, i didn't have any issues with it. I bought it in august, and this problem I had with my old configuration also. SSD is bought in february completely new. The only thing i can think of is the SSD (i didn't have any problems with it running games or programs) or HDD. Maybe windows 10 education has some issues i dont know about. I checked my C drive (SSD) and it is 100% healthy, as well as my D drive (HDD). If the problem is with my HDD, then that is really strange, because i had the same issue with my old HDD.

Specs:

Procesor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB LPX 3000Mhz DDR4, Model: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
PSU: CoolerMaster G550M
Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Amp! Edition
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH
SSD: Samsung EVO 850
HDD: Samsung HD501LJ

Dec 11, 2018
Using coolermaster's PSU calculator this is my result:

Load wattage: 322 W
Recommended PSU wattage: 372 W

So when adding 40% its about 520W recommended wattage.

Dec 11, 2018
My HDD supports SATA2.5 (3GB/s), and my SATA cable connected to my HDD is 6GB/s. My motherboard has only SATA3 ports. Maybe there is a problem. This isn't some big issue, because it occurs only once a few weeks, but still I want to find the culprit.

Ralston18

Titan
Just a couple of other ideas....

Look for some scheduled task: AV scan, backup, update, drive diagnostic, etc...

Could be related to some flaw in Windows 10 Education.

Try using Resource Monitor to observe your system.

I.e., launch Resource Monitor and watch your system for a few minutes - especially Disk Activity.

Slide the window to one side and leave open.

Then open File Explorer and go to D: drive as you normally do.

You may catch some activity or action that corresponds with the freezes.

Task Manager can be used in much the same manner.

Solution