[SOLVED] HDD Games causing Active Time spikes?

Feb 3, 2021
I have an Adata Swordfish 250GB SSD and a WDC wd40efrx-68Wt0n0 4TB HDD. My OS is on SSD while my games, in this case games installed on Steam, are on my HDD. However, any game that I launch using Steam on the HDD has random times where the Active Time on the Task Manager Disk jumps up and causes game lockup for a couple seconds before continuing like normal. I've moved a couple games to the SSD to test, and they no longer stutter over there. Is there any other fix for this outside of moving all my games to my SSD?

I've also disabled overlays, but I don't think that's an issue here.

Solution
Hard disks are slower and tend to be less reliable, the HDD you have in particular seems to serve a different purpose. I think those HDDs are for servers and business settings, not gaming. Try different kinds of games and you might get different results, but I suspect your problem is your HDD type as I run games off of my HDD just fine.

NiaNia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
Hard disks are slower and tend to be less reliable, the HDD you have in particular seems to serve a different purpose. I think those HDDs are for servers and business settings, not gaming. Try different kinds of games and you might get different results, but I suspect your problem is your HDD type as I run games off of my HDD just fine.

Solution