HDD Hybrid Array Taken To The MSI Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_104

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
As I doubt I would take hard drive caching seriously, now or in the future, we should let the olde dog pass on. It has been a good loyal companion, but there comes a time when we are nursing it along for our own sake and not because it is still its time.

The question that comes to my mind would be could I use a pair of 2TB Samsung 960 Pro SSD's (or less capacity but why not shoot for the moon) (or 1TB 600p drives for the most price conscious among us) with this and skip the hard drive?

Would seem to me to be a safer and more thermally sound solution than the motherboard m.2 slots for similar use, with the capacitors and cooling fan.

Maybe with the space savings from ditching the HDD have four good cooled m.2 slots with backup capacitors?

Those options coming to market are far more attractive from my point of view.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
As u say, a new twist on an old theme, Very shy on detail, meh.

I guess its 8 lane - must be if up to 7GBps, which seems optimistic vs other raid ssd benchmarks.

But yeah, fascinating and potentially useful in niche tasks.

this el cheapo 4 pot sata card (marvell chip?),

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-4-Channel-HyperDuo-Technology-UGT-ST644R/product-reviews/B00EA0WMOS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_vote_lft?ie=UTF8&voteInstanceId=R3S9XSOC22SZ4T&voteValue=1&csrfT=gMy8QnVk8BJ7WySk2CMXh1pnbmtcW8MwMuxGEtMAAAAJAAAAAFktrSxyYXcAAAAA&

has a similar Hyperduo feature.

I have one, and some superseded sata ssd & HD drives, & may play with it for fun.

2 combos that appeal are:

a raid 0 pair of sata ssds as a ~1GBps maybe read and write temp files drive

and also, an ssd, similarly to MSI, caching a raid 0 pair of HDDs also on the card. Its the best of both worlds. ~0 access times on popular and small files, automatically resident on ssd, yet get passable 300MBps sequential from the raid 0 HDDs for bigger files. There seems something zen about both elements being similar speed once HDD raid is reading data sequentially. Raid0 also allows decent partition sizes by doubling capacity.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Games barely benefit from raw bandwidth of pcie ssd's, 4k random reads are barely higher in nvme pci-e vs sata. Games also don't benefit from raid0 which is also useless in SSD's in general unless you use it to just watch synthetic benchmarks.

A 1TB TLC Crucial MX300 will offer exactly the same performance for less if you don't want the noise of an HDD and having an external 6TB 5400rpm over usb 3.1 for storage.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
@STEVE_104

Unless you work editing really high res video 4k 60fps or with huge images, you will see no difference on sata vs pci-e 4x nvme ssd, just cute numbers on crystalmark but nothing else in real use.

My combo:

1TB Crucial MX300 (OS, my manga collections for fast thumbnails, some games)
3x6TB WD Blue (video, music, non open world games)

Steve_104

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
@Nintendork

Well I don't edit 4k video, but I do edit 720p and 1080p in Di Vinci Resolve.

I currently use a Samsung 960 Pro, that is noticeably faster than the 850 Pro it replaced. It is also noticeably faster than the Intel 600p in my secondary machine, which is also faster than my old 850 Pro that I keep around as a scratch drive now.

Not sure where the concept of see "no difference" comes from, everything loads faster from boot time, to games, to just launching Resolve. I am certainly closing on diminishing returns, but no difference is a massive stretch.

Something that saves me time getting a machine booted up and to work is worth money to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts