[SOLVED] HDD is Not Detected, Not Spinning but Works suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Hi,
3 days back my PC suddenly went to BIOS and I noticed that my Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM (WD10EZEX) Hard drive was not detected. I opened the case and found that HDD was not spinning. Swapping between other SATA data cables and SATA power cables didn't change anything. Yesterday, I shaked the drive by hand to check whether there is any loose moving things, didn't find any. Then connected it again and Surprisingly PC booted and HDD worked fine until I restarted the PC. More shaking after that didn't fix it anymore.

Today, I did the same and it is now working perfectly. May be after shutdown it will go into the same dead state. What could be the problem? Is it dying?

Motherboard is MSI H110M PRO VD, checked the SATA ports, they seem to have no issues.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi,
3 days back my PC suddenly went to BIOS and I noticed that my Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM (WD10EZEX) Hard drive was not detected. I opened the case and found that HDD was not spinning. Swapping between other SATA data cables and SATA power cables didn't change anything. Yesterday, I shaked the drive by hand to check whether there is any loose moving things, didn't find any. Then connected it again and Surprisingly PC booted and HDD worked fine until I restarted the PC. More shaking after that didn't fix it anymore.

Today, I did the same and it is now working perfectly. May be after shutdown it will go into the same dead state. What could be the problem? Is it dying?

Motherboard is MSI H110M PRO VD, checked the...
Hi,

Motherboard is MSI H110M PRO VD, checked the SATA ports, they seem to have no issues.

Thanks.
Don't even bother trying to resurrect that drive, it's actively failing and will soon be beyond recovery by any but experienced recovery services. The next power on may be its last. Back it up immediately, purchase a new drive, install OS and apps, recover your files from backup.

Reactions: blackernel
Solution

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Don't even bother trying to resurrect that drive, it's actively failing and will soon be beyond recovery by any but experienced recovery services. The next power on may be its last. Back it up immediately, purchase a new drive, install OS and apps, recover your files from backup.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have already backed up data during those two chances I got when it booted up twice. So, it's failing. Ordering a new one then. 🏃‍♂️

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Any tool that can read SMART data.

smartmontools probably would do it.
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download

Got it. I have already read SMART data using Ubuntu Disk utility. Here is the result:

HDD_SMART.png

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Health seems good.
It's operating rather worm. Recommended temperature is 40C or below. Improve cooling of your system.

The average day time temperature in my country is around 36 °C. That's why unfortunately can't maintain below 40 °C temperature. May be the problem is in the PCB rather than the disk spindles.

Status
Not open for further replies.