Question HDD issues from replacing

Oct 23, 2020
So noticed my 1TB HDD on desk top going bad. (randomly not allowing access, saying it is not present) Shrugs no big deal it is a storage drive (I have 2 SSDs already 1 for operating system and every day programs and the other for games I regularly use) My case has 2 HDD bays with cabling already in case of such an event and I have a spare 1TB HDD that I had in a previous build so I am like welp I guess I will slot this in, set up and transfer the data from the dying drive over to the other one if I can. So I turn off power, unplug etc and operate. I turn on the computer...nothing fracking boots past a recovery screen which loops. So spending some time troubleshooting I discover that I cannot boot up properly with any of the HDDs hooked up, so here I am scratching my head not pleased at all as I am kind of needing the extra space. RAGGLE. First time I have encountered such an event. This is a Win 10 machine, damaged 1tb is a WD black and the replacement is a 1tb WD blue. I know I have plenty of power as my supply is more than beefy enough. Any suggestions would be amazing.

Oct 23, 2020
change the boot seq in bios to boot from the ssd?
That has been done, drops into boot loop still however in order to document my current stage of troubleshooting, the HDDS went into "hot switch" slots that were built into the case, cords included. I am when back home going to attempt to hook them up another way to be thorough.