Question HDD make a brief squeak sound after i shutdown/sleep

Aug 23, 2024
Hello, i hope this is the right place to submit. So a year ago i purchased a 1T HDD seagate barracuda to add it to my setup, i already had a 500G HDD (have 184 reallocated sector count in crystaldisk) and a 250G SSD (kingstone A400) i had one problem after i reinstalled win10 LTSC, when i shutdown the pc the 500G HDD wans't turning off (stays running 1-2 minutes after a squeak sound) this problem went away by itself (i don't remember what i did) and the pc was running fine.

Until recently i purchased SSD (samsung evo 970evo 500G) before i reinstalled the OS i unplugged all the storages devices except that 250G SSD (OS and softwares drive) the installation went fine but now i have the same problem i had with the 500G HDD but with the 1T HDD, pc doesn't turn off immediately fellowed with a squeak sound, another problem is when i boot up the pc everything runs except no screen signal (gpu running but nothing on the screen), after 1-2 minutes i get the welcome screen and everything runs fine like i just turned it on.

I did some tests, unplugged only the 500G HDD and turned on the pc = same problems, unplugged the 1T HDD and turned on the pc = no problems at all and the pc runs well.I recorded both drives for comparison when booting up and turning off, put max volume, the 1st beep is from the mobo (if files are removed tell me to reupload them)
this one is the 1T HDD https://whyp.it/tracks/200560/sound-record-2024-04-27-17-59-08?token=Yf2eX
and this one is the 500G HDD https://whyp.it/tracks/200563/sound-record-2024-04-27-18-07-10?token=wMnK6

Sure my pc runs fine but this problem is driving me nut, and i fear that one day the HDD decide to end its life suddenly. My spec :
  • Intel i3 10100
  • Asus prime h410m-k
  • MSI GTX 750TI
  • TEAMGROUP ELITE 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHZ
  • 250 SSD kingstone A400 and 500 SSD samsung 970 evo
  • 500 HDD i forgot what brand and 1T HDD seagate barracuda
  • CM Extreme 2 475W
Thank you for your help.

Aug 23, 2024
That is a potential end for every single storage device on the planet. Mine, yours, ALL of them.

Prepare for that day, because it will come.
I know i know, i made a backup but what about the solution? what cause this problem? Crystaldiskinfo show nothing special (all green)

USAFRet

Titan
I know i know, i made a backup but what about the solution? what cause this problem? Crystaldiskinfo show nothing special (all green)
"I made a backup"
A backup is only as good as the day it was made.
That needs to happen every day.

The noise? You need to really determine exactly where it is coming from.
If indeed it is the drive, then you have to choose...live with it and be prepared to replace at any moment, or replace now.