HDD not showing up as UEFI

FuncTruls

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hello everybody on the forums!

I have a problem with my system. I installed a 250gb samsung harddrive and it shows up in the bios under peripherals but I cannot choose it in the boot order. I can boot from it but not in UEFI-mode. It just says PO: SAMSUNG SP2504C . I've tried switching slots and clearing cmos but nothing works. Please help!

If windows was installed on it without AHCI/UEFI mode enabled in the bios, or if CSM (Compatibility support module) was enabled when windows was installed, then you'll need to reinstall windows with AHCI/UEFI enabled in the bios. If you have other drives attached to the system, you could also have an issue with the boot partition being on a different drive than the SSD. All other drives should be disconnected during the windows installation, all partitions deleted from the target drive for the OS, bios set to AHCI/UEFI and then install to the SSD.

What is your full system specs and windows version?

FuncTruls

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

I dont have any os installed on the drive yet and here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
Athlon 860k
8gb 1866 hyperx memory
Amd Radeon 6970
Corsair cx600m

popatim

Titan
Make sure the bios is set to UEFI mode and then make sure the sata ports are set to AHCI mode. (sounds like you are in legacy and ide modes)
Then make sure the drive, which should be connected to the sata0 or 1 port, is set to the first in the boot order.
Save and exit.

Have your boot media installed and do a power on start up.
Watch the bottom of the screen for a message that corresponds 'Select Boot drive' and press that F-key.
Find your install media from the list that has UEFI: at the beginning.

The rest of windows install is the same as the old ways

Keep in mind that if on the 'Where do you want to install windows to' screen is empty, click the Drive Options link and on the next screen find your drive and delete all the existing partition. Highlight the now unallocated drive and click next.

FuncTruls

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
The bios is set to UEFI mode and the sata configuration is set to AHCI. HDD is connected to sata port 0. It doesnt show up in the boot order. The HDD is recognised but not as UEFi only as PO. When i try to install windows it says that it cant be installed on the drive.

When you boot to install windows make sure you are also booting it as a uEFI boot and NOT a legacy boot. If your motherboard is set as uEFI + Legacy just turn it to uEFI boot Only this way we can make sure that isn't an issue because if it is set it uEFI + Legacy and you do a legacy boot and the hard Drive is set to GPT you can't install it.

Can we also get a screen shot of what your boot menu looks like? Also on uEFI hard drives will NOT SHOW as bootable unless their is a uEFI installed OS. It isn't like Legacy where it will show EVERYTHING you can boot from. It will only show compatible boot devices.

FuncTruls

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hello! I managed to solve the problem at last. I managed to choose the drive as a boot option and i managed to install windows. It magically popped up in the boot order as UEFI when i started the computer and installing windows went like a charm. Thanks everybody for the help!

Jan 30, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nerdpromt : "Info regarding clean boot of Windows 10"

This is not a question. Im writing this beacuse I could find the option to thank darkbreeze directly through a private message.

This is related to post : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3021187/hdd-showing-uefi.html

The solution is as darkbreeze mentions, you have to change to AHCI in BIOS if harddrive does not show up as a installable device when doing a clean install.

I can verify it as I spent 2 days trying to figure this out on a brand new DELL XPS 9370 13". The controller was set to RAID but I never paid much attention to it before finally seeing the thread above.

I ordered 3 of these Laptops for my workplace so you can say I was stressed!

Thank you darkbreeze.

Rune