HDD Prices are Increasing Rapidly; 50% in One Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthemailman

Distinguished
May 30, 2005
I went on newegg this morning and noticed a 2tb went from 65 to 99 i was shocked. Oh well Just have to wait till the market chills again

G

Also an example of the hidden costs of outsourcing. Risk of supply disruptions are rarely factored in when a company makes the decision to outsource, but they can be very expensive, as they are in this case.

G

right about now would be a good time to move manufacturing back to the USofA for once

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]xcomvic[/nom]Oh wells, just wait until they rebuild and restock, prices will fall again within a few weeks.[/citation]

It's going to take more like 6 months to get back to normal.

This is because of the worst flooding in Thailand in 50 years. 60% of all WD drives are made there. Seagate has factories there too but not as much of their production is based there. The biggest problem is a lot of the hard drive component manufacturers are their too. These are the ones the make the drive motors the the other parts that go in to hard drives. It could be 6 months before production is back to normal. Right now its a sellers market, and there is no end in sight right now to the price increases and shortages. Thank god global warming doesn't exisit!

mavroxur

Distinguished
It's funny how there's not going to be a shortage in supplies, as manufacturers and vendors keep inventory on hand. And what incentive does anyone have for the manufacturing to resume quickly? Since there's now a "shortage", manufactuers can jack up their prices and make a killing. Now, resellers can jack their prices up even more, and who gets screwed? The consumer. They'll drag out production delays as long as possible until the cash cow is milked dry first.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I noticed this on Newegg, though it wasn't all that high. I remember seeing a few $60 HDDs jump to $70 and all the way up to $100.[/citation]
Gotta love how the prices on HDDs already in stock and in their warehouse goes up when something happens somewhere else :p

G

Buy an SSD. Prices are getting better and the performance is doubling. The overall value is there.

jlight27

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I wonder if we are going to have more problems like this. Most companies manufacturing is located in third world countries, and climate change is going to have a big impact on the world and really hard on these third world countries. Big business usually want to deny that climate change is real, but once it starts affecting their profit margins they're going to change their tune. Thailand is located at the coast and sea levels will continue to rise (only by a few inches, but that is enough). Hard Disk manufactures will have to face the hard choice of staying where they are and face more flooding on a regular basis (Cut into profits) or move to another location that doesn't cause as much investment problems. I'm sorry for the people of Thailand, but the cost analysis might come into favor the USA; by moving production back to the States

[citation][nom]josephjpeters[/nom]Buy an SSD. Prices are getting better and the performance is doubling. The overall value is there.[/citation]

Well, mechanical drives are still better for capacity and data storage. Plus I can't build a budget machine for someone with an SSD. This is unfortunate, but I do agree that like others I can ride this out for now.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]xcomvic[/nom]Oh wells, just wait until they rebuild and restock, prices will fall again within a few weeks.[/citation]

A few weeks? Anyone who understands how industry works in this part of the world is laughing quite uncontrollably. A few weeks from now (after any inventory in the pipe from these plants is completely gone) they will be several MONTHS away from seeing the pipeline full of inventory again. The shortage and high prices, unless demand slumps due to protracted economic issues, will last for at least 6 months, if not a year.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Gotta love how the prices on HDDs already in stock and in their warehouse goes up when something happens somewhere else[/citation]

What I find disgusting is the time it takes for prices to change. Once something triggers the price hike, online stores skyrocket their prices over night. Then, when things rectify themselves, it takes months for the prices to eventually trickle back down to the pre-event prices.

And yes, most of the stock that is inflated is already in the warehouse, immune to whatever raised prices, so why so quick to raise them? Price gouging, since retailers can get away with it, and blame current events?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]MAKEitHEREinUSAforONCE_54621[/nom]right about now would be a good time to move manufacturing back to the USofA for once[/citation]
[citation][nom]greggreggreg[/nom]Also an example of the hidden costs of outsourcing. Risk of supply disruptions are rarely factored in when a company makes the decision to outsource, but they can be very expensive, as they are in this case.[/citation]
Hey I'm all for American jobs but national disasters happen in the USA too. The only difference between the two coutries is that it probably takes a little longer to rebuild in these third world countries.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Build the factory here in the USA. No floods here if you pick the right spot.

The price increase is either for the rare earths in the drive or for the hiring of now deceased workers. /snide.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Hey I'm all for American jobs but national disasters happen in the USA too. The only difference between the two coutries is that it probably takes a little longer to rebuild in these third world countries.[/citation]
Price increase would be permanent if these are manufactured here in the US due to higher labor costs. Not that these are manufactured manually, but the process still requires people.

Status
Not open for further replies.