HDD shows up in BIOS but not in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor88

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Hey guys

I recently built a PC, installed Windows 8.1 on an SSD and connected an extra 1TB HDD for storage. The problem is that the HDD does not show up in device manager, but it does show up in BIOS. Any ideas? I already updated the BIOS.

CPU : FX-8320
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 evo R2.0
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB.

Solution
Go to storage manager and initialize the drive.
-Bruce
Edit
Right click on computer in explorer and select manage. Under storage click on Disk management.
You probably need to initialize the hard drive. Here are the steps:

1. Go to control panel.
2. Go to System and Security
3. Go to Administrative Tools
4. Double click 'Computer Management'
5. In 'Computer Management', on the left side click the 'Disk Management' under the 'Storage' dropdown.
6. You should see your 1TB drive listed as Disk 1 (SSD should be Disk 0). Right Click the drive and select 'Initialize Disk.' After this I believe you will need to right click the disk again and select 'Create new simple volume'. This will bring you through a dialogue in which you set the partition size(s) and select the disk format. You will be wanting NTFS format.

Razor88

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
It doesn't show up there at all. Disk 0 is the SSD. Underneath it just says CD-ROM 0, and nothing else. I tried swapping SATA ports too. I plugged the HDD to another PC and it works :/.

Dizzee

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Just my input... and for others searching for a solution
The title of this thread says it all.. NOT (seen) IN DEVICE MANAGER.... All the (above) suggestions are only possible if it is seen in device manager.
I have a similar problem, I am able to see the HDD in bios but not in device manager. I have been looking for an "in windows" solution but not sure there is one.
I would try Microsofts FixIt tool as a first call
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

However you can use Hiren's BootCD (or similar) to access it outside of windows and recover data and/or fix partitions.

also >this< thread as a possible solution

A possible in windows option is TestDisk this is the same program used in Hiren's but can work within the windows environment.

edit: I had no luck with TestDisk as it did not see the HDD, possibly as it is not visible in Device Manager, however, when I rebooted and forgot to select boot from USB Windows did pick up the HDD, fixed the partition during start-up and I now have access to it... I have a suspicion this is more attributable to Microsoft's FixIt than TestDisk

note: HDD came out of a laptop.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Further info for those who don't know already.

In Disk Management on the right there are TWO Panels. For starters, each of them SCROLLS so you can see all they contain.

Most importantly, the Upper Right panel will show you all the devices that Windows can understand and use right now. Anything that you cannot find in My Computer will NOT be in the Upper Right panel.

Concentrate on the LOWER RIGHT panel of Disk Management. It should show you ANY valid hardware storage device, whether Windows understands it or not. Anything that the BIOS Setup screens can show you, ought to be shown in this LOWER RIGHT pane. That is where you can examine the device parameters, assign a letter name if necessary, Create a Partition and Format it, check for the File System installed on a Partition, etc.

Device Manager? I don't really know first hand about that, never had a need to go looking for a drive I was installing under the device manager, as the normal course of action for me is to go directly to the disk administration page to get things started. If the BIOS sees it, and it shows up on the POST screen, then it will show up under disk administration, it could be that a person may not know exactly where to look on that page, but that is where you MUST start to make the drive visible, and usable by Windows.

Dizzee

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
The original title says it all... "HDD shows up in BIOS but not in device manager" we can argue the detail but I'm just trying to answer the original post.
If the BIOS sees it, and it shows up on the POST screen, then it will show up under disk administration.
.. I'm sorry but you are completely wrong.
A simple Google Search will find many examples of people who can see the HDD in Bios and not in windows... Disk Admin will only display what it see's... so, at a most basic level searching looking in Device manager is a simple way (and in my opinion easier way) of seeing if Windows can see it... if it is not there then it won't be visible in Device Admin, nor will CMD commands such as
Code:
diskpart /list
list it (though is always worth a try).. I don't think it is helpful to tell people who clearly say "..not in device manager" that they should look in Device Admin which itself will only show what is available in device manager.

Reactions: khmiller

Amit Ashish

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

I had a working setup os SSD in primary slot and HDD in CD slot via caddy. I upgraded my SSD and cloned from old SSD to new one. Upon booting from new ssd, I could not see my HDD in device manager or disk management tool. In bios it was not detected when connected to CD slot.

Thanks a lot. Referring to this post I did below and issue was resolved:

1)Downloaded and executed Microsofts FixIt tool
2)Opened device manager and under view selected show hidden devices
3)Un-installed all entries from disk drive apart from active SSD
4)Restarted the machine.
5)Opened disk management tool - phew... device was now listed there .
6)Added drive letters to HDD partitions.

Thanks a lot.

VickieRock

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
I have the same problem. I have a 3TB HDD that clearly shows up in my UEFI BIOS window. However, it's an absolute NO SHOW in the "disk management" window. Thus, it's impossible to format, partition or assign a drive letter when it's not even there upon which one could take action. My C:\System drive is there and my D:\Data drive is there and that's it .... NO third drive, period.

So .... how do I get windows 10 to recognize that there's a drive attached to Sata port #3?

Chris_166

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016

Came across this threads while researching a similar problem with a new Samsung 850 pro. Drive was showing fine in the BIOS but not recognized by Device Manager (Windows 10) and thus unable to initialize. Resolution was to run Windows Memory Diagnostic ... Don't know why this resolved the issue but it did. Looks like your issue was hardware related but for others searching similar issue try running running the Memory Diagnostic.

racherry

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Same with myself. Windows 10 previously attached to a USB docking device on my ASUS RT-AC68U. Getting Write rights to storage on the router was a pain. I detached the USB docking device, removed the hard drive and installed it in my Windows 10 machine. It came up in BIOS Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H mobo. Booted Windows it was a no show. Ran the scan hardware utils in Device Mgr, what ever the troubleshooting asked for, nada.
Scanned Microsoft and the Internet, no solutions that worked. Until I see Chris_166 solution to run Memory Diag. I've used this many times before, but not Win10. Runs on the reboot, scans, reboots to Windows, Notification that memory is just fine, open File Explorer.... and there it is. I don't know why, but It worked.

See what sharing to a community can do. Thanks Chris_166

JJayMan

Commendable
May 13, 2016

Had the same issue: I unplugged my HDD, installed an SSD and installed Win 10 fresh on the SSD. Then I plugged my HDD back, showed up fine in BIOS, but Windows didn't detect it (not in device manager, not in storage options). I ran the Memory Diagnostic, and when that was finished, the HDD showed up just fine in Windows explorer.

Happy that it's fixed now. :)

marakuja

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Had the same problem. Intenso 120GB SSD detected in laptop bios but not in Windows 10 device manager nor disk management. Ran the memory diag and boom, detected! Awesome!

Biggles258

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Had the same problem too.

I had a problem with BSODs every couple of hours (incidentally solved by updating the graphics card driver and network card drivers via the options in Device Manager) so I had disconnected the 4TB Seagate Drive. When I reconnected it I could see it in the BIOS but no amount of jiggling, re-wiring, rebooting or Drive Scanning would find the thing in Windows.

Then I saw Chris_166's note about running the Memory Diagnostic and remembered that I had run this as part of my BSOD investigation. At the time, I'd not been able to see the 4TB drive and thought I'd just been lucky to catch the drive on a reboot, but now I realise that it was initially down to running the Memory Diagnostic.

02:56 now - without Chris_166, it could easily have been an all-nighter. Thanks so much :)

Raj_41

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Awesome... Microsoft should start reading these threads! Thanks buddy it worked for me on Windows 10. I hooked up a 2TB WDSATA HD (2nd drive), it would show up in the bios but not in Windows Device Manager... Did the memory diagnostics as you mentioned, and VOILA!!!!! Saved me a lot of aggrevation, cheers buddy!

Frank_138

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Solved - I doubt it's a Memory Test or anything at all.
After a number of reboots and being on for 10 minutes or so. Voila, on a subsequent reboot, there it was in Device Manager & Computer Management
I have a Windows 8.1 laptop:
Has two SATA drive bays
Adding a second SSD, seen in BIOS, but not in Windows DM or CM.
I stuffed around partitioning the drive on another PC as MBR, then again as GPT,. Made not difference.
I screwed around with detecting new hardware cycles and looking for new controller drivers, that too made no difference.
I read someone else's feedback with the same issue saying it just 'appeared' after a little time, I ran out of options, and there you have it waiting and/or several reboots worked.
FYI
C: was a 250GB SSD
New D: drive that stole an hour of my life is a 120GB SSD. Thank you Microsoft

Frank.

Feb 20, 2018
Have an HP Z220 workstation, was expreiencing same problem.
Go into your BIOS, and under eSATA Port for me, it was Disabled, I Enabled it, and was visible in my disk management.
If it's not showing up in your disk management, but appearing in BIOS, I'm more than sure it's a BIOS setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS