[SOLVED] HDD size keeps increasing in partition manager

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hey, I have an 1TB old laptop HDD i use for a portable drive thats been playing around a little. I was transferring some 200GB of steam games in order to not need to redownload them tonight and windows came up with a disk error. Did a repair but when i went onto the drive settings it was down as a 2TB drive (1.81GB after filing software)? It happened again when i restarted the transfer and then said 3TB... Is this drive on the way out or what?

Solution
Are you able to move the games from this problematic HDD back to the original drive? You have earlier, before this happened, made backups onto another reliable external media? I ask because I think your intuition is correct, HDD is on the way to complete failure.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Are you able to move the games from this problematic HDD back to the original drive? You have earlier, before this happened, made backups onto another reliable external media? I ask because I think your intuition is correct, HDD is on the way to complete failure.

Solution

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hmm. The whole steamapps/common folder has disappeared from HDD when I just looked. Some games were able to transfer before the error, but unfortunately not the majority.

Yeah I have a 3.5 drive too with my backups, I just prefer the laptop drive because not needing external power. What I've been doing is putting my main games on the HDD and swapping them around on a small ssd in laptop.