Not open for further replies.

lord.ofdjtn

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018
Hi,
i have an asus rog laptop,
recently my hdd stops working suddently, but it back alive after couple days
and it keeps doing that, (on/off)

is the problem from the hdd or the sata port?
how i can test that?

anyone faced the same issue before ?

when i use an external case to run it, it works, and plug it again to the laptop it start working again
i use ssd for booting

Solution
As I said, in order to try to repair a drive you need a lot of skill, a clean room, and tools. Your ONLY option now it to take it to a data recovery center and pay a pretty penny. Otherwise, get a new hard drive and hope you didn't need the files.

lord.ofdjtn

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018
Hi sorry for the late reply
I would run hard drive sentinel to test hard drive health. Likelys its a dying drive, but it could be a bad cable or sata controller.
hard drive sentinel indicate that the hard drive is fine and there's not any bad sectors
If there is a cable connecting the hdd to the laptop motherboard then try replacing that.
No there's not any cable

I'm using it now as external hard drive, and it work/spin sometimes for about 2 days then suddenly it stopped working
there's a sound like the head is stuck, i can hear it for 1 second when i close-up the hdd to my ear
it looks like the head is stuck
if i open it and release the head, is it gonna stuck again?
or do i need to do something else like updting the firmware ?

Thanks

Anthony Mondz

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
Hi sorry for the late reply

hard drive sentinel indicate that the hard drive is fine and there's not any bad sectors

No there's not any cable

I'm using it now as external hard drive, and it work/spin sometimes for about 2 days then suddenly it stopped working
there's a sound like the head is stuck, i can hear it for 1 second when i close-up the hdd to my ear
it looks like the head is stuck
if i open it and release the head, is it gonna stuck again?
or do i need to do something else like updting the firmware ?

Thanks
You will risk damaging the drive by opening it, If you can you should get the data off and run a S.M.A.R.T. test since it might be failing.

Reactions: lord.ofdjtn

lord.ofdjtn

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018
i opened the HDD to check if the head is stuck, for 5sec, and it's not,
i close it immediately
so now i'm thinking of the PCB, it can be damaged ?and how this happen ?
it spin after plug/unplug the usb for about 100 times from the external HDD adapter
now i just need to get my documents then i will throw it away
Any suggestions ?

Yes the PCB can die randomly and it isn't terribly uncommon. Yes, it can be replaced but it may not be easy depending on the drive model.
I wouldn't risk irreparably bricking the drive (if it already isn't) by trying a DIY repair. Hard drives need to be opened in a clean room, need more than just a standard screwdriver to swap PCBs on most models, and it requires a lot of skill to repair them. Most newer drives will require "Bios" ROM chips from the old board to be removed and soldered to an identical donor PCB. You will need some soldering equipment and tweezers at least. If you have experience soldering and repairing PCBs involving chip replacement, you should be able to do it yourself. You may need some t6 or t8 screwdrivers to crack open the drive as well.
Read more: https://www.hddzone.com/fix_hard_drive_pcb_board.html
You may be able to find a donor PCB here: https://www.hddzone.com/

Last edited:

lord.ofdjtn

Prominent
Aug 4, 2018
Guys, i fkd up, 😪
there's a cercler scratch on the platter caused by the head
is there's a way to recover the data from scrartched platter(s) ?
is replacing the head will allow me to read/write the unscratched areas ?
where i can buy a head ?
give-up ?

If the heads or drive PC board are bad, but the platter is in good shape, you can swap it to another ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL drive and rescue the data on a one-time run. I've done it on only single platter drives, and it does work, but there is no point in attempting it on a drive with more than 1 platter, or on a drive with (a) scratched platter(s).

Sorry it turned-out this way for you.

Reactions: lord.ofdjtn
Jun 3, 2021
I have the same issue. HDD sometime work and sometime not. I ran Smart test and the results are good. Health good.HDD is connected on PC with sata cable and power. I noticed when i plug off all cables from HDD and plug it back and start the PC HDD work but it doesnt't work again tomorrow. Any solutions ? thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I have the same issue. HDD sometime work and sometime not. I ran Smart test and the results are good. Health good.HDD is connected on PC with sata cable and power. I noticed when i plug off all cables from HDD and plug it back and start the PC HDD work but it doesnt't work again tomorrow. Any solutions ? thanks
Start a new thread for your particular situation.
This one is 2 years old, and now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.