[SOLVED] HDD Spins up twice before shutting down

Mar 3, 2020
Okay so I noticed that when I shutdown my pc that my hdd will spin up twice before shutdown. Pretty much after I click shutdown everything goes as normal but my hdd will spin up once for about 6-8 seconds, then it will spin up again a second time for 8-10 seconds, then it will finally turn off. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing that happens or not so I thought I might as well ask.

Solution
When your PC shuts down the drive is accessed to move files around (e.g. from RAM to the hard disk) and make sure there are no running programs that need to be closed. I wouldn't say it's abnormal for the drive to spin up on shutdown, but twice, and for several seconds at a time, sounds unusual. Is this a recent issue you just started experiencing? Are there programs running (e.g. in the background) when you're trying to shut down?
there an no programs that are running on the hdd. It's primarily used for games but not much else.

EDIT: It has started recently but I think it is fixed now.I recently had to reinstall windows as well as reinstall my games. My power plan was set so my secondary hdd wouldn't turn off when not in...
Mar 14, 2020
When your PC shuts down the drive is accessed to move files around (e.g. from RAM to the hard disk) and make sure there are no running programs that need to be closed. I wouldn't say it's abnormal for the drive to spin up on shutdown, but twice, and for several seconds at a time, sounds unusual. Is this a recent issue you just started experiencing? Are there programs running (e.g. in the background) when you're trying to shut down?

Mar 3, 2020
there an no programs that are running on the hdd. It's primarily used for games but not much else.

EDIT: It has started recently but I think it is fixed now.I recently had to reinstall windows as well as reinstall my games. My power plan was set so my secondary hdd wouldn't turn off when not in use, it was set for like 100 mins of inactivity before turning off. I set it back to default and now it only spins up once at shutdown, so all seems good right now.

Last edited:
Solution