Question HDD/SSD enclosure

Sep 12, 2024
I need to transfer some data from my hdd (internal) to my ssd (external) so I’m considering buying an enclosure. I looked up one, it says ‘TRIM’ supported on the enclosure’s description. Isn’t TRIM a function that an ssd performs by itself while in use? Why is the enclosure needed to have TRIM support?

Btw, I’ll be using both hard drives and ssd’s in the enclosure as per the use case. I chose an enclosure over a simple SATA to USB connector for:
1- enclosures can protect against accidental drops or bumps
2- the support for trim (not sure why it’s needed hence the question)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2024
Will the SSD remain as an external?
Or is this a one time transfer?
My Internal HDD will be replaced by the SSD. But I need some data from the hdd in the to-be-installed ssd, I know I can put the SSD in first then use the hdd externally to eliminate any TRIM related concerns but I’ll be using the same enclosure for sending data to other SSD’s I own. Boot drive is a completely different Nvme drive altogether so no problems on that end.

USAFRet

Titan
My Internal HDD will be replaced by the SSD. But I need some data from the hdd in the to-be-installed ssd, I know I can put the SSD in first then use the hdd externally to eliminate any TRIM related concerns but I’ll be using the same enclosure for sending data to other SSD’s I own. Boot drive is a completely different Nvme drive altogether so no problems on that end.
For that, TRIM in the enclosure is not really a concern.

I have a dock like this, for use just like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Docking-Station-EC-UBLB/dp/B075GJ3P3B

Reactions: Rockyrocks