HDD/SSD question

pcfan1

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
okay so this week i got my SSD and i installed a fresh copy of windows on it and then i added my old HDD to my computer after installing correctly the SSD but a few files from my HDD are missing and i see no way of recovering them, is there a way i could find out what the problem is? most of the files missing is because they were on my old "desktop" and i dont see them in my HDD repertory :/

did you format the old hard drive?? if not and the old os is still there just go into the bios and switch the boot deviced to the old hard drive. as long as windows is still on the old hard drive the files should still be there. if you did format or delete files from the old hard drive there is a software program that might be able to recover it.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

pcfan1

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

thanks for that link, i didnt remove any windows files of any kind but when i go in the bios it doesnt show my other HDD as a bootable device :S only shows my floppy drive and my ssd.

also it seems that anything installed on my HDD isnt recognize by my SSD, for example, Bittorrent was installed on my HDD but i had to reinstall it on my SSD otherwise it wouldnt work, same for battlefield 3 and such :S

You can not run unInstalled programs on windows. You must install them or the OS will not have the registry entries or know where the software components are. You can install them to any drive you want including the HDD, but you must install them under the new OS.

Your desktop files on the HDD are in the desktop folder under you user name. They don't magically pop up on your desktop on the new OS. I highly suggest you read some instructions on migrating to a new HDD/SSD.

pcfan1

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

i know that they dont pop in my current desktop folder but they are not in my user/desktop folder on my HDD aswell, didn't know about the registry entry thing, thanks :)

rdc85

Honorable
What files is missing? entire partition or only some files?

If files in "my document/dekstop/etc" it will under your windows/"document and setting" folder

They are marked hidden and sometimes sytem too..
so u will need to change the folder option to able see them (uncheck hide hidden folder/files & system files)...

Other than that, u could try program like "recuva".......