Question hdd stopped working, need advice

Jul 7, 2019
Hey, my hdd,which i had been using for 2-3 years, just decided to stop working a few days ago. Its the following hdd:

Seagate Intern Hårddisk Barracuda 3TB (64MB / 7200RPM)

Currently its not showing up in bios, and as far as i can tell its not even spinning up, however i've tried changing sata cable and similarly for the power cable with no fortune. Thus at a dead end i decided to turn here for advice. I fear that its faulty but i dont see any good reason for why it would just give up after such a long time.

Note that i am currently trying to sell my computer so a rapid response would be dearly appreciated!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You're answering your question yourself. "Good reason for it to give up?" "Such a long time".

Electronic components die, as simple as that. HDDs having mechanical/moving parts are inherently even more prone to failure than say a CPU or RAM.

Yes 2-3 is relatively not that long for a hard drive but it happens. If it's not spinning (no mild vibration) when plugged in and turned on it's probably totally dead.

The key is to have regular backup of important data so when the day comes it's as simple as getting a new drive, formatting it, restoring backup and that's it.

Reactions: MotleyNoumenon
Jul 7, 2019
You're answering your question yourself. "Good reason for it to give up?" "Such a long time".

Electronic components die, as simple as that. HDDs having mechanical/moving parts are inherently even more prone to failure than say a CPU or RAM.

Yes 2-3 is relatively not that long for a hard drive but it happens. If it's not spinning (no mild vibration) when plugged in and turned on it's probably totally dead.

The key is to have regular backup of important data so when the day comes it's as simple as getting a new drive, formatting it, restoring backup and that's it.

Ok, thanks as expected then, bummer, but no harm done really.

USAFRet

Titan
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
Sometimes suddenly. And sometimes earlier than you want them to.

I had a brand new WD 3TB die at 5 weeks out of the box. 36 hours from seemingly fine to completely dead.
I had a SanDisk 960GB SSD die in the space of Power OFF, 5 minutes, Power ON.
Dead dead dead...

Good backups saved me both times.