HDD unreadable, MBR repair woes

Nekomichi

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hello all,

I have a 400 GB Freecom external hard drive that had three partitions (one NTFS, two FAT) which I use on my laptop (Macintosh, dual-boots Windows 7). Recently, one of the FAT partitions started having issues where it would not mount or be visible when connected to the laptop when booted under OS X, whereas it worked fine under Windows. After I did some partition resizing, suddenly the drive disconnected and all partitions became unreadable on both operating systems.

Using various disk managers, all of them said that the drive did not have any partitions, and that all space was "unallocated". None of the tools (EaseUS, Minitool) would detect any of my data on the drive and as far as they are concerned, the drive was empty. I have followed a few tutorials through Googling (including a number of guides on Tom's Hardware) but to no avail.

Eventually, I stumbled across Active@ Partition Recovery for Windows, and following a few online tutorials, I was able to scan the drive and detect all three of my partitions as well as preview some of my files, confirming that there must be something wrong with the partition table/MBR.

So here comes my problem: In the tutorials, people were able to simply select the files under preview and recover them from there, but I was not given the recover option when I tried to do so. There were instructions on how to recover partitions and make them visible to the OS again, however when I attempted to recover any partition, I was given an error about a damaged MBR with invalid partition values.

Using the FixMBR feature of Active@, the program loaded something for a while, then the log said that MBR repair was successful, yet nothing had changed; all partitions were still inaccessible from the OS and attempting to recover each partition still resulted in the error about damaged MBR.

This brings me to my frustrating problem: If the program could detect all partitions as well as files being intact, why is the recovery option not enabled? And why does the FixMBR feature do nothing at all? (I understand the MBR may be used for booting an OS, but none of the partitions had operating systems installed, so I can only assume that the MBR was used to map the partitions on the drive).

The drive contains almost a decade's worth of files (the drive itself is only about 5 years old) that are irreplaceable and I would very much appreciate any help to recover access to them.

Can you see your files with Partition Find & Mount?

http://findandmount.com/

PF&M will not write on your drive.

"Lost or deleted partitions can be found with Partition Find and Mount. In the easiest case, if MBR is the only structure that is corrupted, it will take just a second for Partitions Find & Mount to find all partitions!

After partitions are found, you can mount them to the system, making them visible as usual read-only disk volumes."

Nekomichi

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hello Fzabkar,

Thanks for your suggestion - "Partition Find and Mount" was able to detect two of the three partitions and mount them from a quick scan. The partition that was not detected is a FAT partition that has most information on it. Strangely enough, it wasn't the partition I was resizing when the drive stopped working.

I'm running a full scan as I type this, hoping to find that last partition. In the meantime, I'll also go and get a new drive to copy everything off any mountable partitions in case it goes kaput.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Nekomichi

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Update:

The full scan was interrupted when the drive decided to spontaneously unmount for some reason. I was able to connect it and find the NTFS partition again. However attempting to copy anything from it caused a new problem to present itself:

No matter what file I try to copy from the mounted partition, and regardless of where I try to copy it, the transfer rate is always unacceptably slow (less than 500KB/second). Is there any reason for this? If possible, is there any way to remedy this slow speed? I have about 100GB of data on this partition to recover, and I can't leave my computer running for 55 hours.