[SOLVED] HDD wont initialize - I/O Error

Aug 14, 2020
Hi all,

My PC recently crashed while I was installing a game on Epic Games, and when I rebooted the drive didn't appear in "This PC". I went to disk management and the drive appears there as "unknown, not initialized, unallocated". When I try initialize it I get the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". My PC is fairly new so I don't think the drive is broken, but the solutions I've found online are still giving me the same errors. I don't use the drive much so it wasn't too big of a deal, but when I tried to reinstall epic games launcher it says "Invalid Drive D:", so even a fresh version of the installer won't work for me, which renders a few of my games unplayable. Hopefully someone can help me fix this headache!

Solution
Hi, you can try to fix your drive by changing the drive letter using the device management of your windows. If not you can use the command prompt and use this following command: In the new Command Prompt window, type: chkdsk E: /f /r /x

You said that your computer is new, it is possible that you may create a conflict between a partition in your drive.

Consider also checking your hard drive connection on your computer. Then also you can update or reinstall your driver of your drive using the device manager.

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi, you can try to fix your drive by changing the drive letter using the device management of your windows. If not you can use the command prompt and use this following command: In the new Command Prompt window, type: chkdsk E: /f /r /x

You said that your computer is new, it is possible that you may create a conflict between a partition in your drive.

Consider also checking your hard drive connection on your computer. Then also you can update or reinstall your driver of your drive using the device manager.

Solution