Question Overclocking RAM to Advertised Clock Speed Gives BSoD

May 6, 2024
When I first built this system, I tried enabling XMP, and started getting BSoDs somewhat randomly (usually ranging from every 30 minutes to every 8 hours or so). These seem to occur regardless of what I have running on the system at the time of the crash. I was annoyed by them for awhile, then finally realized that the overclocking could be the issue. I set my memory back to default settings in the BIOS and voila, I never get BSoDs anymore. I've tried a "Memory Try It!" preset that matched my specs and just like that, I was getting BSoDs again. I've updated my BIOS and tried overclocking again, and nothing changed. I'm out of ideas and I'd like to have my memory running at the proper speed.

Specs

CPU: i9-12900k 3.2GHz 16 core
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA 1700
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600Mhz - 64GB (4 x 16GB)
PSU: Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2x 12G

These specs listed are the only ones I would imagine would be worth noting but I can list any of the others if needed. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

May 6, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Take out two sticks of ram and see if you're able to enable X.M.P.
Hi, I'm using MSI Click BIOS 5 version E7D25IMS.AG0. I took 2 sticks out, enabled XMP, and have used my system for about 2 hours with no issues.