[SOLVED] HDD works once and becomes dead rest of the day

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Five days back my PC suddenly booted into BIOS and HDD (Western Digital, Blue, 1TB 7.2K RPM) was "Not Detected". Tried changing SATA data cable, power cable, but no luck. Inserted other HDD/SSDs in the same setting and those were instantly detected. I thought my HDD was completely dead until the next day I booted my PC and it booted Normally! As soon as I shut down, the HDD became dead again. Same went for the following days.

Basically, HDD works only for the first boot in a single day. Pretty weird but yeah it's literally happening. Any help or clue? Thanks.

Motherboard: MSI Pro VD H110M.
HDD model: WD10EZEX.

SMART Data:
SMART Data

Solution
Ah, gnome disk utility. My favorite.

Pre-fail and old age flags. There's a good chance it's in the process of dying. If it only works during a (really) cold boot, there's a solid chance it's a mechanical failure. Cold contracts, heat expands. I don't know enough about all of the internals of a hard drive, but it sounds very much like something is contracting during it's off time, enough that it works when you first turn it on, but after it's been exposed to heat for a while, it won't spin back up after turning the PC off.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021

Pre-fail and old age flags. There's a good chance it's in the process of dying. If it only works during a (really) cold boot, there's a solid chance it's a mechanical failure. Cold contracts, heat expands. I don't know enough about all of the internals of a hard drive, but it sounds very much like something is contracting during it's off time, enough that it works when you first turn it on, but after it's been exposed to heat for a while, it won't spin back up after turning the PC off.

Solution

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021

Thanks. luckily it gave me the chance to backup the data completely.

To the community: Anyone facing similar issue should immediately backup the data and buy a new one.