[SOLVED] HDMI 2.0 and USB over single cable

Nov 26, 2020
Hello. Once again I turn to this forum in need of a solution for my setup.

I am trying to tidy up the current setup I have with my desktop PC.
It is connected through HDMI 2.0 to a 4k tv in 60hz HDR (I specify this as it is the reason for HDMI 1.4 not being sufficient) and through a USB 3.0 port (although I'm pretty sure a 2.0 port would be more than sufficient) it is connected to an external audio device (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen3to be precise).

At the moment the PC is next to the tv and the speakers (which are at the sides of the tv) but I would like to move the PC about 5 meters away (that's around 15 feet for you non metric people). The best solution I can theorize to do this would be to have some sort of cable run from the PC to some sort of adapter behind the tv into which I could send both video and audio signals (digital audio to the sound card that is).

From what I understand the display part would require a bandwidth just shy of 18 Gbps (I used https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp with 3840x2160 resolution at 60z and 10bits per pixel).
The USB part is almost negligible with at most 480 Mbps for USB 2.0 ...in reality the data transfered requires much less then that.
From a theoretical point of view USB 3.2 seems to be sufficient with a max theoretical thoughput of 20 Gbps. Key work "theoretical".
Thunderbolt 4 seems to be the better solution here though as it has a max theoretical throughput of 40 Gbps and from what I can see is more extensively used to transmit video and data.

Hopefully I got things right up until now. But here comes the part where I do not understand how to accomplish my goal.
How do I combine the output of two ports on my PC (HDMI 2.0 from the GPU and USB 2.0 from the motherboard) into one single cable? Would I need some sort of PCIe card with thunderbolt 4 that I would then tell my PC to route the video output to?
I am a bit lost here. How do you suggest I solve this?

I might end up running two wires side by side in the end as at the moment it seems to be the best solution (if not the only). But I would like to explore some other options.

Thank you in advance.

Solution

It is connected through HDMI 2.0 to a 4k tv in 60hz HDR (I specify this as it is the reason for HDMI 1.4 not being sufficient) and through a USB 3.0 port (although I'm pretty sure a 2.0 port would be more than sufficient) it is connected to an external audio device (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen3to be precise).

At the moment the PC is next to the tv and the speakers (which are at the sides of the tv) but I would like to move the PC about 5 meters away (that's around 15 feet for you non metric people). The best solution I can theorize to do this would be to have some sort of cable run from the...

At the moment the PC is next to the tv and the speakers (which are at the sides of the tv) but I would like to move the PC about 5 meters away (that's around 15 feet for you non metric people). The best solution I can theorize to do this would be to have some sort of cable run from the PC to some sort of adapter behind the tv into which I could send both video and audio signals (digital audio to the sound card that is).

From what I understand the display part would require a bandwidth just shy of 18 Gbps (I used https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp with 3840x2160 resolution at 60z and 10bits per pixel).
The USB part is almost negligible with at most 480 Mbps for USB 2.0 ...in reality the data transfered requires much less then that.
From a theoretical point of view USB 3.2 seems to be sufficient with a max theoretical thoughput of 20 Gbps. Key work "theoretical".
Thunderbolt 4 seems to be the better solution here though as it has a max theoretical throughput of 40 Gbps and from what I can see is more extensively used to transmit video and data.

Hopefully I got things right up until now. But here comes the part where I do not understand how to accomplish my goal.
How do I combine the output of two ports on my PC (HDMI 2.0 from the GPU and USB 2.0 from the motherboard) into one single cable? Would I need some sort of PCIe card with thunderbolt 4 that I would then tell my PC to route the video output to?
I am a bit lost here. How do you suggest I solve this?

I might end up running two wires side by side in the end as at the moment it seems to be the best solution (if not the only). But I would like to explore some other options.

Thank you in advance.
That would require a very custom cable that has distinct cables and ends for both as they are in no way compatible. 5meters is also just on a border of USB cable length.

Solution
Nov 26, 2020
I Found some transmitter/receivers that use ethernet to send hdmi + usb through one single cable but the ones with the necessary bandwidth for what I need are very expensive for me. If money were no problem thought that would be the best solution I think.

TRENDING THREADS