Question HDMI port doesn't work on GPU, but DisplayPort does ?

Mango90

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
The short story is: my GPU's HDMI ports don't seem to be working, but were working fine not too long ago.

So, the long story: I used to have a dual monitor set up. I used my AOC monitor as my main, and an older Acer SB220Q monitor as my second monitor. My wife's second monitor went to crap about 6 months ago, and she needed a second monitor more than I did, so I lent her mine. She finally got a new one and I got mine back. To my unpleasant surprise, the monitor, which still works (even tested it on her computer right now again to make sure) doesn't appear on my computer. I tried her new monitor, new cables, nothing. I have 2 x HDMI ports on my GPU and neither of them send a signal to the monitor. I have an i5-10400F, so I can't just connect monitor to my mobo unfortunately.

My GPU is a Asus 2060 Turbo.

Things I've tried:
  • clicking on "detect" in windows settings
  • Installing new drivers for gpu
  • disconnecting the cables from my GPU and waiting for a few minutes
  • unplugging monitor
  • trying new monitors/cables
  • resetting PC, turning it off, etc.

I hope someone can help me.

Mango90

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
Try turning off computer, turn off psu button, then unplug from wall. Hold down the power button on your pc for 30 seconds. Then plug back into wall, turn on psu button, then try to start pc and see if monitor comes on.
Didn't work unfortunately.
The monitor "lit up", like it understood there was a connection, but it said no signal and went all black again

Mango90

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
I don't know if this is allowed, but I wanted to see if someone could help me as I still haven't discovered the issue to my problem.

I created this thread here:
(I'll paste it below so you can see)

The short story is: my GPU's HDMI ports don't seem to be working, but were working fine not too long ago.

So, the long story: I used to have a dual monitor set up. I used my AOC monitor as my main, and an older Acer SB220Q monitor as my second monitor. My wife's second monitor went to crap about 6 months ago, and she needed a second monitor more than I did, so I lent her mine. She finally got a new one and I got mine back. To my unpleasant surprise, the monitor, which still works (even tested it on her computer right now again to make sure) doesn't appear on my computer. I tried her new monitor, new cables, nothing. I have 2 x HDMI ports on my GPU and neither of them send a signal to the monitor. I have an i5-10400F, so I can't just connect monitor to my mobo unfortunately.

My GPU is a Asus 2060 Turbo.

Things I've tried:
clicking on "detect" in windows settings
Installing new drivers for gpu
disconnecting the cables from my GPU and waiting for a few minutes
unplugging monitor
trying new monitors/cables
resetting PC, turning it off, etc.
I hope someone can help me.

I tried what one user suggested, but unfortunately it didn't work.
does anyone have any ideas?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

And the short answer is: hardware fails on daily basis, often without any reason what-so-ever.

As of why your GPU HDMI ports died all of a sudden and/or what caused it, your guess is as good as mine. If your GPU has warranty, RMA it. If not, either live with it or buy a new GPU.

Mango90

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
Did you found a fix? A similar issue is happening to me but with DP.
the solution was to buy one of those hdmi to display port cables (it's hdmi on one end and display port on the other) and then connect the hdmi end to the gpu, because apparently the problem was with my gpu's hdmi port