Question Headphone amplifier and audio interface question

LS_Shadow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I plan on getting a pair of Sennheiser 660s and an XLR microphone once I get some extra cash, but I'm starting to get confused about the setup. From what I understand, I will need an audio interface for the microphone and a headphone amp for the headphones (to get the best experience). But I don't know if it's best to connect the interface and the amp, which one to plug the headphones in if they do connect, and how best to connect the amp and interface for a desktop computer setup. I know most amps feature RCA I/O connection, and most interfaces feature the RCA output connection, so I'd likely need a RCA to 3.5mm adapter, but do I plug both in the computer, or do I setup a train with them somehow?

What is the most optimal way to setup both the mic and my headphones with the amp and interface to my desktop computer?

For XLR mic, something simple like this would work for computer https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Microph...=B07MTGT27G&psc=1&refRID=9HYDV64ZE7A3BV36BWYN but those are more for people that already own a nice mic with XLR and don't want to pay a few 100 more for a USB or 3.5mm one. You may as well just get a nice USB mic unless you will be using it for other things.

For the headphones, the general "budget" dac/amp setup is a Shiit Magni and Modi 3 combo. For a more budget solution a Schiit Fulla is good. You can get up there with prices, 300,500, etc... but a decent $100-200 setup should be all you really need for good audio. The Schiit Jotunheim for example is over $600, great item but it's 600.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Massdrop O2/SDAC for $150 competes with a Schiit stack and is cheaper. The Aune X1S beats it in every way for $199. And an Aune X7S more than competes with the Jotunheim and it's only $170 on Massdrop.

Pair an X7S with a DAC of your choice ( Topping D10, D30 or D50, Schiit Modi, Massdrop SDAC, JDS El or OL DAC etc. ) for Class A goodness. I haven't heard the 660S yet but the HD600 and HD650 will reward you for it especially with a balanced cable.