[SOLVED] Headphone cable extension no audio from rear io

tsunme

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
So I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XX with stock cables and I wanted to get an extension cable so I had so more room to move with them on. I purchased THIS thinking it should work. When I received it and tried plugging it in I noticed I wasn't getting any audio anymore, so I tried to the front headphone port to see if maybe the cable was bad, but I was getting audio from there either.

I thought maybe the 3.5mm jack wasn't the same, but comparing the 2 they look basically the same. I'm wondering if it is just the 3.5mm jack on it is different somehow or if it's just not compatible and if someone could point me in the right direction for a proper extension cable.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
The HD 6XX uses a standard TRS plug.

Are you sure you're plugging it into the green LineOut/SpeakerOut jack at the back? Is it's all the way in.

Make sure also that nothing is plugged into the front headphone jack. Typically, if the front headphone jack is used (ie. something is physically plugged in), the rear LineOut/SpeakerOut jack is muted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

Don't try extension cables with a headphone as good as the 6XX. Just buy a stock Sennheiser cable. The 10 foot cable on the HD650 is something some people complained about hence the 6XX getting shorter cables.

This is a stock HD650 cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD650/dp/B0028PGXRE

This adapter comes with the HD650.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm/dp/B008JGWY2Y

If you want a cable that ends in a 3.5mm connector you can spend a little more and get the stock HD600 cable instead. Personally I went the other route and bought a 650 cable for my 600s as the 650 cable is better built.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones/dp/B000KPSLZG

tsunme

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Same number of black rings on extension jackplug as on headphones jackplug ?
Yep, checked them side by side to make sure.

The HD 6XX uses a standard TRS plug.

Are you sure you're plugging it into the green LineOut/SpeakerOut jack at the back? Is it's all the way in.

Make sure also that nothing is plugged into the front headphone jack. Typically, if the front headphone jack is used (ie. something is physically plugged in), the rear LineOut/SpeakerOut jack is muted.
I was doing this originally. I could be that somehow the extension is just ever so slightly smaller and isn't going all the way in, but I was sure I plugged it into the correct port in the rear IO. I only tried the front after I remembered it was there (hardly ever use those).

Don't try extension cables with a headphone as good as the 6XX. Just buy a stock Sennheiser cable. The 10 foot cable on the HD650 is something some people complained about hence the 6XX getting shorter cables.
I began to look into stock replacement cables that were longer, was just hoping that this cheaper method would suffice.