Headphone cord repair

domitan

Honorable
May 16, 2015
I purchased some Sennheiser HD650 headphones a while ago and accidentally broke the tip off my 3.5mm phone connector jack. Now normally this would be a pretty easy fix, just snip and re-wire but the problem is the cable is double-lead or whatever it is called. Basically it is two cords that are glued together so it's a double-wide cord. These wont fit into the phone connector repair port at all since the average phone connector is designed for 1 cord. Does anyone know of a double-lead phone connector repair kit that i could get? Also is there a more correct term for that cable?

This is the cable in question. Now if i could buy a $4-6 repair kit instead of that cable it would be great since money's kinda tight right now.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you familiar with "TRRS".

Reference:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

You can replace the 3.5mm male plug but you need to identify the pinouts and be able to solder (or know someone who does....)

Basically the process involves "dissecting" the plug end of the cable and separating out all the fine wires, getting them all into the new plug, in the right places, and hoping all goes well with the soldering and reinstallation.

I am all in favor of DIY and understand that you budget is tight. However, those cables are not really meant to be repairable - kit or no kit. Kit may prove workable only under limited and very ideal circumstances.

My thought: Nothing to lose by trying.

Since the cable is ruined anyway, try separating the wires out on the male plug in and see how that goes.

Then you can decide the next step.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's because the cable is balanced. Just search for balanced headphone wiring.

TRENDING THREADS